Epilogue (Sad Ending)

Hello all. So you might have noticed it has been a while since I updated, and that's because I couldn't decide which ending I wanted to go with. My friend came up with the perfect idea to write both and go with whichever one I liked more, but honestly, I think they're both appealing for different reasons and for different people. So, here's both. 

If you want a SAD ENDING, proceed with this chapter. If you want a HAPPY ENDING, skip this one and go to the next chapter. Or you can read both, it's up to you.

Love you all. 

_-_-_

Harry sees him go down, and screams.

He attempts to run out to the field, but Louis throws an arm out.

"You'll get killed if you run out there!" He yells, but Harry is already trying to push past his arms. "Wait!"

Harry doesn't listen, throwing Louis's arms off himself and sprinting past him. He trips over tree roots and he can feel his musket banging against his back. He never even took it out to prepare for a fight. This entire time, he's had his eyes on Niall.

On Niall, who fights like he's been doing it for years.

On Niall, who goes through the motions like it's second nature.

On Niall, who downed at least ten men all by himself.

On Niall, who charged into battle as if it's where he belongs.

On Niall, who was hit by a bullet in the chest.

On Niall, who is on the ground.

On Niall.

Another pair of arms encircles Harry's waist, holding him back from getting to Niall, on the ground.

Harry yells out swears and tries to push away, but whoever is holding him is too strong. Harry keeps fighting.

He can see as Liam rushes out onto the field and kneels next to Niall, safely behind a line of soldiers who are protecting him without even realizing.

How did a bullet get through? How did it hit Niall? He was still far enough away from the front lines that he should've been fine.

But Niall got far. There's men further back than him that were hit. Some never made it out of the trees.

Niall is a talented fighter.

Whoever hit him was just a lucky shot.

This doesn't stop Harry from getting angry, from cursing, from screaming, from trying to fight out of the arms that are holding him back. The person holding him has pulled him behind a tree, and though they're protected, Harry doesn't want to be.

He wants to be on the field.

He wants to put a bullet in the skull of whoever shot Niall.

He wants to be next to Niall.

Looking into his eyes, feeling his pulse, touching his skin.

But he's being restrained.

Is this what it feels like when people wake up to night terrors and can't move their body?

Is this what it feels like to be mummified while still alive?

He can't hear anything.

He can't smell anything.

He can't feel the touch of the man holding him, or the rough bark of the tree ripping at his clothing.

All he can do is see.