Chapter Twenty-Two

This chapter is also quite violent. Please read with caution.

_-_-_

Niall can feel the baton on the end of the rifle pierce into his back every few steps. He has a bit of a limp in his march due to being beaten down the last few days, but he doesn't let anyone else see that he's suffering. He knows they won't care anyways.

After about forty minutes of walking, the drill sergeant calls for them to stop. Niall complies, stopping himself from moving. He falls to his knees when the drill sergeant pushes him forward, telling him to continue. He stands back up and looks back at his comrades, who are all glaring at him.

Niall can see out across the hill that there is a large group of men walking into the field. He knows the supply cache for his old company is nowhere near this location, so they must have been scouting out overnight and are just now returning.

"Horan." The drill sergeant calls, and Niall turns around, still walking. "Stop so I can remove your restraints." Niall stops dead in his tracks, not wanting to piss him off. The sergeant comes up behind him and cuts the rope between his hands, not caring that he grazed Niall's knuckle. "Go out there and speak to them. Try to encourage them to come closer. If you try anything funny, you're dead."

Niall nods and brings his hands back in front of him. He's still wearing the old uniform given to him by that very company so hopefully they won't suspect Niall began fighting for the enemy.

Niall takes a tentative step forward, moving down the hill slowly. All the other men have presumably found hiding spots among the trees, though Niall is too afraid to turn around to check.

It took him a minute to reach the bottom of the hill, but once he does, he knows he's completely in the open. The sun is beaming down on the yellowed grass, and he can hear the heavy footsteps of his previous allies from across the field.

He takes a shallow step forward, officially standing in the light, which catches the attention of the soldiers across the field. A few of them lift their rifles, aiming at Niall, but he doesn't stop walking. He's taking larger steps now, trying to reach the center of the field.

"Stop!" One of them calls, and Niall complies. They don't seem to have recognized him yet. "What are you doing, soldier? Why are you out here?"

Niall doesn't respond and takes a step back, trying to lure them like he was told to do. A few of the men drop their rifles, but the man who called out to him is still aiming at his chest. He takes a step forward, following Niall, and the rest of the group follows suit.

Niall wants to turn and run back to the forest, hoping they will chase him, but he knows that's an unlikely outcome. He needs them to get closer to him. As the group begin marching up to him, Niall continues to take small steps back, wishing he didn't walk so far from the hill.

He looks over the group, trying to see if he can recognize any of the soldiers. The first few men at the front seem unrecognizable, however, Niall's eyes fall on a figure in the second row hesitantly lowering his rifle. Louis.

Niall sighs in relief when Louis completely drops his stance, seemingly recognizing Niall as well. He takes a step forward, passing his comrades to get a better look. Niall stops his movements as Louis moves across the field, the rest of the soldiers following.

"Niall?" Louis calls once he's close enough to distinctly see Niall, and then he smiles realizing he was right.

"Louis." Niall whispers, stepping forward. Louis puts his rifle away and takes long strides closer to Niall's figure, throwing his arms around him.