Chapter Twenty-Three

During the run, Niall fell unconscious. Harry tried to wake him by calling out and shaking him, but he wasn't coming to. It made him run faster, not wanting to waste any time getting to Liam.

He didn't even realize that Louis was following him until he's back at the base, but frankly, he doesn't care about him right now. If Niall believes he's a good guy, he'll believe it too, at least until he's better.

Harry doesn't even call out for Liam before running into the tent, startling his friend from where he's writing at his desk.

"Harry, what the hell--"

"You need to help him." Harry demands, his breath heavy from running back to camp so quickly.

"What?" Liam asks, eyeing Niall up, who's still breathing in Harry's arms. "What happened?"

"He was shot, at the ambush. They targeted him and, fuck, thankfully I got there when I did. I don't even know if the bullet is still lodged or if any of his organs were damaged, but he could die without you, Liam. Please," Harry's speech is thick and slightly slurred as he rushes through his words, placing Niall on an empty cot. Niall comes to when he's placed down, his eyes fluttering. He's too weak to speak, but he can hear everything they're saying loud and clear.

"Harry," Liam starts, looking over Niall, "I can't."

Harry's eyes narrow, "Why the fuck not? He's an injured soldier, aren't you supposed to help your comrades when they're hurt?"

"He's not a soldier, Harry. He's--" He pauses, looking at Louis, who has also made his way into the tent. "He's the enemy. He's just an enemy to me, to us."

Harry's eyes darkened in anger, bolting upright. "He is not the goddamn enemy. He never has been."

"That coat says differently."

"Fuck the coat! Fuck this war! Fuck your shitty mentality, and fuck you, too!" Harry explodes, tripping over the cot to get to Liam.

Liam flinches, afraid that Harry is going to strike him, but Harry stomps past him and picks up his bag of medical supplies. He brings the bag back over to Niall, dropping it harshly and a few tools fall out.

"If you're not going to help him, I will." Harry promises, opening the bag and looking inside. He doesn't know what any of these tools do or what he plans to do with them, but at least he's trying, unlike the person across from him that's supposed to have one of the biggest hearts in this damn camp. Seems the war got to him, too.

"You're just going to make things worse, Harry. Just let him die." Liam interrupts his thoughts, standing next to Harry who has pulled out a pair of wooden tongs. He hopes the bullet has gone through so he doesn't have to try digging to find it.

"Would you just let me die?" Harry questions rhetorically, glaring at Liam for a moment before searching around in the bag again.

"Of course, not, Harry, but that's--"

"Don't fucking tell me it's different, because it isn't. Dammit, Liam, you've saved so many people in this very tent that deserved to die for their crimes in this war, you've tended to people that had a thirst for blood, bandaged up people that came to this war because all they care about it killing innocent people. But the second a real soldier needs help, you turn away, just because his coat is a different color? You turn away helping someone who's on the verge of death just because you don't agree with the side they used to fight for? You don't even know his name, Liam! You don't know his name, or his family, or how he got roped into this war, or even care that people on our side, our comrades, the ones with the same color coat as us would murder this man in cold blood with absolutely no remorse, without even knowing him!" Harry has tears streaming down his face when he looks back at Niall, who's thankfully still breathing. Harry doesn't know how long he has left, and he knows he needs to start soon, but he can't stop himself. "You dare call yourself a caregiver? A life-saver? There's a life right in front of you that's worth saving, but you don't even care. You wouldn't give a shit if he died right here on this cot. You might even laugh!"