Chapter Twenty

After a few days, Harry and Niall have come to the conclusion that Niall isn't going to be supplied with bedding. It's unfair, in Harry's eyes, but Niall keeps trying to make excuses, saying that maybe they're just waiting for the brigade to drop off new supplies at the cache, and maybe word hasn't gotten back to them that they have a new recruit. Harry knows it's a bunch of shit - they have plenty of old bedding from soldiers that have long passed, and even though he would prefer Niall to be given a brand new set of supplies, he knows it's next to impossible.

However, Harry isn't against Niall sleeping close to keep warm. In fact, he always tries to move closer after Niall has fallen asleep, covering him with more of the blanket or letting him have the pillow. Niall must have noticed at this point, considering they wake up nearly pressed against each other. Harry tries to at least give him a little space, but the days are getting colder recently, as winter is officially upon them. Thankfully, they're far enough south that snow doesn't seem to be much of a problem just yet.

After about two weeks of Niall's integration, when Harry moved close, Niall turned over. Harry froze, not wanting to wake him up further.

"You comfortable with this?" Niall asks sleepily, his eyes still closed.

Harry wants to stay silent, but he speaks before he can stop himself, "You're cold."

"You keep me warm." Niall takes in a deep breath and moves back on the pillow, leaving space for Harry to rest his head.

Harry studies Niall's tired face, "You sure?"

"Of course. Are you?"

Harry nods instead of speaking, throwing the blanket up and feeling the cold air before it settles back down on both of them. Harry's back is sticking out so he moves closer, resting his head next to Niall's.

"Your body keeps me warm. I can feel it radiate off you when you sleep." Niall whispers and, for the first time since they've first began staying together, he lets his body touch Harry's. "I've been wanting to do this since that first night, but I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

"I'm not uncomfortable." Harry reminds him, relishing in Niall's own body heat. "You keep me warm too."

"Good. Then we can continue?" Niall finally opens his eyes and Harry wishes it wasn't so dark so he could see them properly.

"Yeah. As long as you need to keep warm, I'll be here."

"That's sweet, Harry." Niall sighs. "I'm happy I don't make you uncomfortable."

Harry furrows his eyebrows, his arms twitching to reach around Niall and pull him closer. He whispers, "Why would you make me uncomfortable?"

"Most people can't handle even knowing a nancy, let alone be friends with them or defend them or sleep close to them. Especially considering my previous profession."

"Who you like and what you used to do doesn't define you, you define you."

Niall laughs, "How eloquent. I don't think most of society would agree with you."

"Fuck society. Fuck what they think about you. All that matters is what you think about yourself, and if you're happy with who you are." Harry rambles, wanting to bring Niall out of this obvious self-depreciation rut he seems to be in currently.

"Seriously," Niall's laugh grows louder. "you should become a writer or something."

"Maybe I will." Harry jokes. "Maybe I'll write about my adventures in the war and tell about this man I met that wanted to die."

Niall groans, "Enough of that. No more bringing up the past."

"You're the one who started it by talking about yours."

Before You Start A Warजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें