Chapter 26

The day after my talk with Niall, Katie invites me out with her and Louis.

"Oh, you don't have to do that. I don't want to third-wheel. I'll be fine back here." I pat the pile of books by my bed. "I don't have all of these for nothing!"

Katie looks at me pityingly before nodding her head like this was what she needed to hear. "Okay, you definitely need to go out with us."

I groan. "No, it's really fine. You guys need to go out with just each other. I feel like I'm always tagging along with you guys."

"Emily, please just come out with us. We're worried about you."

"Why?" I ask in surprise.

"Well...you've been staying in the dorm as much as possible. The only time you leave is to go to your classes and you don't go play tennis anymore. You used to find time every day to play so you could be ready for the season and now you refuse to. I know that what happened between you and Niall is really hard and I bet talking to him yesterday didn't help, but you need to get out, get your mind off of it for a bit. It really will help."

I look at her quietly for a few moments before sighing. "Alright, I guess you're right. I can't spend the rest of my college life holed up in the dorm."

"Exactly! We're going on the river boat in Old Sacramento, and it's kind of an all day thing, so you might want to get dressed."

We both look down at the old raggy T-shirt and dirty sweatpants I'm wearing. "Yeah, I probably should..." I jump up and shower as quickly as I can. I guess I'm more excited at the idea of getting out than I let on.

Once I'm dressed in a sweater and jeans Katie and I meet up with Louis. 

"Hey Emily, how are you doing?" he asks me with a friendly smile.

"I'm alright. Things have been kind of..rough, but I'm okay." I say, hoping this is the closest we'll get to discussing Niall today. Thankfully he just smiles at me again, gives Katie another kiss, and then climbs in the car.

Old Sacramento is only about twenty minutes away from our campus so before long we're pulling into a parking spot near docks. I follow Louis and Katie to the line of people waiting to get on the boat.  They're whispering to each other and even though I'm sure they're not trying to make me feel like it, I feel very alone all of a sudden. I close my eyes and try to keep my mind from wandering in the direction of Niall. I can't help but remember the looks we'd give each other whenever Louis and Katie got coupley. I find myself wishing he was with me and I furiously push the thought from my mind. I got out to get Niall off my mind.

We climb on the boat and Louis runs as fast as he can to a spot near the edge of the boat so we have a good view.

Katie and I laugh at him and sit down. The boat captain comes on over the loudspeaker and tells us his name and what we'll be doing. I don't really pay attention but basically we're going around the river ways of Sacramento and a little band will be playing the entire time while we eat food. It sounds pretty good to me and I hope that my thoughts will stay happy and positive and keep from ruining my mood.

The boat starts to inch forward and we sit back, happy to be moving. Katie and Louis do a pretty good job of balancing time spent talking to me and acting like it's just a date with the two of them. It feels so great to be out and having fun, away from the dorm where most of my dark thoughts live. We're all in a great mood, laughing and joking around. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I smile at Katie and Louis, grateful to have such great, understanding friends.

"So I talked to Niall last night..." Louis says, instantly ruining the mood. Katie elbows him hard and glares at him.

"What'd he say?" I finally ask, not sure I want to know.