Chapter 22

Katie is apalled at how fast Niall was able to convince me to go to a party.

"It's been what, a month? It took me way longer than that and when you finally did go to one, it wasn't because I told you to! Why is he so special?"

"Maybe because he's my boyfriend? Katie, he does a lot for me, I owe him. And he really isn't asking much of me."

"It's a frat party; he's asking a lot from you."

"You go to those all the time!" I protest.

"Yes, because I can handle it."

"I can handle it!"

She looks at me sympathetically. "You can't even imagine what goes on at frat parties, Emily. The only reason I'm not slapping Niall for deciding to bring you to one is because you need to get exposed to it sooner or later and at least after this you'll never want to go to one again."

"I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe I'll like it." I say, indignant at her opinions of what I can handle.

She seems like she wants to continue arguing but thinks better of it. "Okay, okay, maybe you will. We'll have to see."

"Are you and Louis going?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "We're going out to dinner instead. The party environment didn't sound appealing tonight."

I nod but secretly I'm disappointed; I was hoping they'd come so I would have a bigger group and feel more comfortable. Plus, then they'd be able to see for themselves how capable I am of handling a frat party.

Niall's coming around 5 to pick me up, so after my one lecture for the day I have an hour or so to get ready. Despite my earlier confidence, I still really feel out of my element; the problem of not knowing what to wear only increases that feeling. I end up pulling on leggings and a short-sleeved shirt, deciding that from most books I read people usually wear pretty normal clothing and leave my hair and minimal makeup alone, not sure what to do with them. I open my textbooks as I wait for him and take a couple more notes.

I hear him knock and run to answer the door. He's dressed just as casually as I am and relief washes over me.

"You ready?" he asks me with a grin. I nod and he takes my hand.

The frat house isn't very far away, and before I know it we're walking up to the front door. A flood of second-thoughts hit me but I keeep my mouth shut not wanting to disappoint Niall.

A guy opens the door and the first thing he says is, "you guys want some acid?"

Niall looks like he is considering it, so I say quickly, "No thanks, I think we'll pass."

He looks disappointed but steps back to let us through. As we're walking by he seems to notice who we are and he gapes at Niall, who just winks at him.

"Want something to drink? I'll go get you something," Niall says, nodding towards the crowded kitchen.

"Just some water, thanks," I say, fully intending to stay true to my promise of not drinking or taking drugs while on the tennis team.

Niall looks at me, disappointed, before going into the kitchen and leaving me alone. Nobody really talks to me, probably because they don't know me, but finally a girl approaches me.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around at these before...I'm Lydia."

"I'm Emily. And no, this is the first one I've been to."

She nods. "Who told you about this one?"

"Well, my boyfriend has been trying to convince me to come to a party, and I finally agreed so he took me here." I explain.