Chapter 5

-Niall’s POV-

            I watch her run away, already feeling the guilt filling in the places where anger was only seconds ago. Turning away, I see Katie climbing out of the pool, ignoring Louis, who’s trying to talk to her. After shooting me the most unfriendly look she’s ever given me, she hurries off after Emily. Louis watches her go, looking hurt. He climbs out of the pool and walks towards me.

            “Why’d you go off on Emily like that, mate?”

            “She went off on me first, I had to defend myself!” I say, angry.

            “I understand defending yourself, but what you said to her? No. That wasn’t defending yourself that was hurting her.”

            “Look, I’m not in the mood to get scolded, Louis.”

            “But you need to be scolded! You can’t just go around telling her that she isn’t special to you and that you basically hate her!”

            “But it’s the truth!”

            “No it’s not, and you know that. I see the way you look at her when you think no one is looking. She isn’t some other girl to you, Niall. I don’t know what that shit you just pulled was but you better fix it, before you ruin it for yourself and for Emily.”

            “This doesn’t have anything to do with you,” I snap.

            “But it does! Did you see Katie ignoring me? She wouldn’t even look at me, because of what you said to Emily.”

            I sigh. I never thought that what I said or did to Emily would affect Louis and Katie’s relationship.

            “I’ll say it again: you better fix whatever’s going on between you and Emily, if not for yourselves then for Katie and me. I don’t want our relationship to end because you don’t know how to handle real feelings for a girl.” He turns and walks away before I can protest that I don’t have “real feelings” for Emily.

            I leave the pool feeling confused and angry.I know that Louis is upset that things aren’t working out with Katie but that doesn’t mean he has to take everything out on me. Emily was ripping me apart and I had to stand up for myself! At least now she should leave me alone. She knows that I don’t really care about her…just thinking that lie hurts and I shake my head in frustration. I really need to get control of myself. I see Kayla standing with her friends and I realize that all I need is a distraction.

            I walk up to her and pull her to me, smashing my mouth on hers. She kisses me back immediately, completely forgetting about the conversation she was in the middle of. She pulls me closer and jumps on me. I can hear her friends giggling and whispering “Get a room!” to each other but I don’t care. All that matters is getting Emily out of my head. And Kayla is just the distraction I need.

-Emily’s POV-

            As I’m heading to the library I’m still deep in thought about that little voice in my head and Niall. I really don’t want to be interested in Niall and every time I’m about to convince myself that I’m not, that little voice comes back again. The idea that I could have feelings for a guy like Niall actually hurts. I was always proud of myself for being the girl that didn’t fall for those kinds of guys, didn’t get pregnant at 16, didn’t end up hurt and alone when he broke her heart. But now all of that is being thrown away because of one college boy who doesn’t even feel the same way. If my life was a book, this would be the part where I feel like throwing the book across the room in frustration at the girl. I’m so deep in thought that I almost run into a couple making out. With a noise nauseatingly similar to a plunger being pulled they break apart.