Chapter 20

The last tennis match of the fall season comes a week after the date with Niall. Katie tells me that if I win, we can go on a celebratory double date later. I get the impression that even if I lose we'll still be going on that double date.

As we all cheer together for the final time this fall, I glance in the stands and see Niall. Relief sweeps over me and my nerves start to die down. I don't know what it is, but something about him calms me down during my matches.

"Go get 'em," Julie whispers as I walk onto the court.

This match is over a lot faster than my Regionals match, and I win. My team cheers from behind but all I see is Niall clapping and cheering, smiling at me proudly. He stands up and starts walking down the bleachers and I know he's heading towards where I'll be standing with my team in a few seconds.

He reaches me at the same time Julie does and all I have time to see is her confused look between Niall and me before he wraps his arms around me and lifts me up in a passionate kiss.

He sets me down with a little smile and whispers, "I'm sorry, but I couldn't help it. And the sooner people find out the better, probably."

I smile at him too, but as I turn to face my confused team I wish he had at least given me warning. I smile sheepishly at them before they start squealing and envelope me in hugs, cutting me off from Niall. The one person standing back is Julie. I look up in time to see the betrayal in her eyes before she walks swiftly onto the courts to play her match.

Guilt courses through me and I watch nervously as her match begins.

She plays amazing. I've never seen her play so fast and furious, yet poised and controlled at the same time. She wins two sets in a row to win, unlike me - losing a set in between - which means right now, she is in first. Turning to face us she gives me a smug, satisfied look before hugging the rest of the team - excluding me.

Needless to say, our team wins overall and Julie gets first; I try to make my way over to her to congratulate her but she's gone before I can say anything to her.

I want to stay behind and worry about what's going on, but I know that if I do that, I'll be late for the double date Katie has been counting on, so I give my coach a hug, accept her congratulations, and make my way back to the dorm.

When I get back to the dorm, Katie is already dressed and she's waiting for me.

"So how'd it go?"

"You know, you could always come and watch these yourself."

"Nah, why would I do that when you can just tell me yourself?"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. I won!"

She cheers and claps. "Yay! That's good, good job!"

"Thanks," I say, smiling.

"We don't have long until the date, you should get dressed!" Katie says, glancing at her phone.

"What am I supposed to wear?" I ask, realizing I completely forgot to ask Niall what the date was.

"I don't know exactly what the date is, but I didn't get the impression that it was anything fancy."

"Oh good," I say in relief. I end up deciding on a loose, white long-sleeved shirt and jeans with some black boots. I grab my own coat, ignoring Katie's reminders about getting to wear Niall's coat and then we head out.

"They're just meeting us in front of the dorms." Katie says as we walk. We turn the corner and we see them waiting by a car, talking to each other.

Louis grabs Katie's hand and kisses her cheek while Niall takes a moment to look me up and down before trying to kiss me. I turn my head so his lips land on my cheek and I dip my head towards Katie and Louis when he gives me a confused look. I don't want to show much PDA while they're around - or anyone else is around, really.