Chapter 21

**Theres a little more swearing in this chapter than usual, so if you're sensitive with that sort of thing, just beware :)**

With tennis over I have a lot more free time. Usually I would spend that time studying and doing homework. But lately I've been spending that time with Niall. I guess now that people are starting to find out about us I've become more relaxed.

 At first it was rough; people kept teasing me and telling me that I wasn't going to last long. Kayla was the worst. When she finally learned that Niall was dating me she hunted us down and screamed at him for at least five minutes. I thought I was going to be able to escape without a second glance from her, but that was not the case. When she was finally done with Niall she turned to me and she looked even more furious, which I hadn't even thought was possible.

"What ever made you think that you had the right to take him from me?" she snapped, glaring at me. "You really think he would choose you over me?" she laughed and it sounded cold and bitter. "You, the pathetic little nerd from class over me, the pretty, popular sorority girl?"

"Well...no. I didn't think he would choose me over you but...it sure looks as if that's what happened, doesn't it?"

She laughed. "You don't need to be a bitch to me. I know you're worried about keeping him when there's girls like me around but I don't think you need to worry about that; he's going to leave you sooner or later for some reason or another. I am surprised to see that you've held onto him for so long but," she shruged. "it's only a matter of time before he gets tired of you. And I can assure you, I will be the first person he runs to." she said, smirking coldly at me.

Niall looked like he was about to jump in but I held up my hand. "Niall I can handle this, it's alright. It's just empty words, she isn't actually going to do anything to me-"

"You wanna bet? Because I can assure you, you'll lose that too." she snapped.

I looked at her and saw exactly how serious she was. "Are you insane?" I asked, unable to contain an incredulous laugh. "You're doing all this just so you can prove that you're the ultimate whore?"

Niall let out a belt of laughter before stifling it quickly. Kayla looked surprisingly, unnervingly calm; I thought she'd run off to go pout and mope to her friends.

"I wouldn't toss that word around so casually. I mean, you are the one who is currently with the biggest lady-killer on campus, not me."

"You're the one threatening me so that you can have him!" I said, outraged.

She smiled sympathetically at me. "Yes but you see, that's because we belong together. You're just some...fling he's having. He'll come around soon."

"Emily is not just a fling." I heard Niall say angrily behind me. "You were the fling. Well, you and a bunch of other girls. Emily is much more than all those girls. Don't talk down to her because you're jealous of her-"

"Jealous?" Kayla said, gasping in outrage. "Jealous? Of that bitch are you joking?"

"No. I'm not." he said. "She's smarter than you, more athletic than you, and more beautiful than you'll ever be."

Kayla laughed hysterically. "Really? What spell does she have you under? You can't seriously think that she is prettier than me? Not on the outside, no way!"

"You're right. I'm not talking about the outside." If he hadn't been standing up for me I probably would have slapped him. "She's one hundred times prettier on the inside than you'll ever be. She's pretty on the outside too, but outward appearances aren't everything, Kayla. I don't care about how people look anymore. What's important to me is what they are like on the inside and frankly, you're a mean-ass bitch. Fuck off."