Chapter 10

-Niall’s POV-

I slip into the boy’s bathroom for the third time today to avoid Kayla. She keeps trying to apologize to me and get back together. But she’s not the girl I want anymore. Or maybe she never was.

When Emily almost kissed me, I thought I had done it. I thought I’d melted the heart of the ice queen. But then she went out with that loser from that lame band and I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke at first. But since the night I tried to talk to her she’s gone on several more dates with this guy and she looks so happy. He’s always waiting for her when I walk by her dorm and every time she comes running out and they give each other hugs before climbing in the car and driving off. I wish I knew where they went.

I’ve tried telling myself that I’m better off without her, but so far it isn’t working. Every time I see her my mood lifts and I feel like I ate butterflies for breakfast.

I hate it.

The only good thing that’s happened lately is that Louis is talking to me again, since he and Katie are working out. At first, he felt sorry for me. But after a few days he started getting impatient.

“Niall, you have to get over this. She’s got another guy, there’s not a chance now.”

“Who was the one telling me to fix things with her?” I snap.

“That was when it was still possible to fix things! Now she’s got a boyfriend, there’s nothing you can do to fix it now. Just find yourself someone else Niall, it won’t be that hard for you.”

“Relationships don’t last forever.” I say stubbornly, still clinging to the hope that she’ll get over this guy.

Louis gives me a pitying look. “Niall, I know how much you like her, and I know how hard this is for you to see—”

“No you don’t!” I shout at him suddenly. “You don’t know because you’ve got your own perfect relationship with the girl of your dreams! You don’t know how hard this is so don’t sit there and pretend you do.”

He just sighs and doesn’t say anything.

“Dude, just get over this chick,” my other friends chime in.

“There are other girls out there. I bet you can go out and find one right now.”

“Yeah just grab a girl and have her help you get over this Emily girl.”

I shake my head in frustration, knowing they’ll never understand.

One day was especially hard. Emily must have slept late because of studying so late and she came in with messy hair, no makeup, and a baggy T-shirt on, but she looked so good it hurt when I remembered she wasn’t mine. I hate feeling like this; I’m not used to it. I’m used to being the one driving girls crazy, not the other way around.

“You can have any girl you want, just pick one!” my friends keep telling me but I can’t; every time I even think about it something twists in my gut. I don’t know why they can’t just accept the fact that I don’t want anyone but Emily.

“We just want you to be happy, Niall.” Louis keeps telling me but if they really wanted me to be happy they would stop pestering me to find someone else.

Katie’s over one day, hanging out with Louis and I decide to talk to her about Emily.

“Katie?” I ask hesitantly. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

She sighs and nods. Ignoring Louis’ questioning look she follows me outside. I was kind of hoping she would prompt me but she just stands there quietly, waiting for me to start talking.