Chapter 8

I wake up the next morning and wonder for a second what the horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach is. Then everything that happened last night comes flooding into my mind. Niall following me. Niall and I arguing. Niall coming, closer and closer….I squeeze my eyes closed, hoping to shut it all out.

As much as I would love to stay in bed all day and avoid reality, it’s Friday, so I still have some classes to go to today. I shower quickly and get dressed. When Katie sees me she gives me a pitying look.

“You look horrible.”

“Thanks.”

“You know what you need? A pick-me-up!”

I glance at her. “What do you have in mind?”

“There’s a little concert happening tonight on campus from a little up-and-coming band and I was going to go. You should come with me!”

“I don’t know…” I was kind of planning on coming back here and curling up in my bed all night with my books.

“Please? Don’t make me go by myself.”

“I’m sure you don’t have other friends you can get to take my place,” I say sarcastically.

“None of them want to go to this; they want to go to parties and lame stuff like that.”

“Even Louis?”

“I told him this was a girl’s night thing.”

I sigh. “I’m going to regret this, aren’t I?”

“Of course not!”

“Okay…I’ll go.”

She cheers and I laugh as I grab my books and head out for a quick breakfast before class.

As the day goes on, I actually start to get excited about the concert. I have been to a couple concerts in my life, but never any small ones like the one tonight. It’ll be a different experience, and I’m excited for that. Plus, maybe they’ll be attractive.

Thinking about attractive guys unfortunately makes me think of Niall. I don’t see him around today which is a relief. Having to face him right after what happened last night would be too much. I keep flipping between being proud of myself for running away and wanting to slap myself. I’m really hoping this concert will get him off my mind for at least a little bit. Even just an hour or two of not thinking about Niall would be great.

It seems to take forever, but finally my classes and today’s tennis practice are over. I hurry back to the dorm to shower and find Katie in there getting ready for the concert.

Once I’m showered and clean I pull on jeans and a T-shirt, grabbing a sweatshirt too, in case it gets cold outside. We both grab a quick bite to eat from the dining hall, since it’s unlikely there will be food at the concert.

Katie knows where the concert is, so I follow her. It still isn’t starting for about an hour but we wanted decent spots so we agreed to head down a little earlier. The courtyard is more crowded than I expected it to be for a campus concert, but then again I’ve never been to one of these before, so what do I know?

We squeeze our way through the crowd, pretending there are people up towards the front that we know until we get too many death glares to continue. We still made it up pretty far though so we’re happy.

“I hope they’re good,” I grumble as the girl next to me stumbles and laughs hysterically, sloshing whatever is in her plastic cup over herself. “If I have to spend the whole time listening to a crappy band while she—” I point to the girl next to me, “drinks and spills stuff on me I’ll probably hurt you.”