Chapter 16

I walk into my psychology class filled with dread. I never got another person to observe. I had an entire month and I could only come up with two people to observe. Not only will I get a C (at best) on this project, but I'll also show the entire class that I don't have enough friends to even complete the psychology project. Unexplainably, I'm mad at Niall.

One by one, everyone presents their project - all with three or more people. My feeling of dread increases and finally it's my turn. I grab my folder and walk slowly up to the front. I clear my throat and actually consider telling my professor that I feel sick even though I don't. But he's smiling at me, obviously expecting an amazing presentation and I decide that I can't lie to him like that. I didn't finish my project and I need to face the penalties for it. Even if it means failing this project.

"I'd just like to start off by saying...I didn't get three people." the class starts muttering right away, but my professor's expression doesn't change. He probably thinks I got ten people or something. "But I'm going to present the information I have, because that's better than nothing. The first person I observed was my roommate, Katie...." I can see people smirking as it becomes crystal clear how lacking I am in the friend department. But I struggle through anyway, knowing I deserve this.

I avoid my professor's eyes through the entire presentation, not willing to see the disappointment I know will be there. At least the class is getting a good laugh out of this. When I'm finished I sit down as quickly as I can and try to ignore the stinging behind my eyes and my flaming cheeks.

I struggle to keep my cool as the last few people present. The minute class is over I jump up and head towards the door but my professor calls me back. Ignoring the snickers, I walk reluctantly over to his desk.

"Miss Haines, is everything...alright?" he asks me hesitantly. Normally I would lie and say I'm fine but he is the psychology professor.

"There was just some confusion in who I was supposed to observe." I say quietly. I don't want to give him more details and he doesn't press the matter, which I'm grateful for. "I know I didn't get full points for this project. I'm sorry it was such a let down." I hurry out of the classroom before I start crying, even though I hear him call me back. I don't even know what I'm crying from; anger, disappointment, embarassment, or maybe a mixture of all three. I've never done so badly on a project and, even though it's horrible of me, I need to take it out on someone. When I see a particular blond head across the courtyard I know who my target is.

He sees me walking over to him and smirks cockily at me.

"You just couldn't stay away from me, huh?" he asks, and I glance warily at his friends behind him. They're laughing and I feel my cheeks warm and suddenly my anger at Niall is much worse than it was a second ago. I give him a withering look and his smirk falters.

"Guys, go on ahead, I'll meet up with you in a bit. I've got a homework question." They nod understandingly and turn away.

"Good thing you're so smart otherwise they wouldn't have fallen for that," Niall smiles at me - a genuine smile this time - but I don't return it. Giving me a concerned look, he motions for me to follow him and walks out of the crowded courtyard. He leads me around the back of the library. Once we're out of sight he reaches for my hand.

I pull it away and take a step back. He looks at me with a mixture of bewilderment and hurt, and I can see his guard rise up again. His eyes harden and he leans against the wall cockily, the mask of carelessness back on.

"What's eating you, beautiful?" he asks. "Well, besides no guy at this school."

I just about slap him. But I quickly remind myself that he just wants a rise and I can't give that to him. I take a deep breath and ignore him.