Home Sweet Home

Maya

"So, where has Dad moved us? I never got to see the house," I say softly with my head pressed against the window of his truck.

"Well, you are staying at mine so we can look after you. Mel will be coming to see you as often as she comes to see Sam," he states.

"It's a good thing our birthday is next month," I say with a smirk.

"You'll be eighteen, right?" he asks as he glances at me.

I simply nod as I look out the window at the dreary and peaceful town.

"Anyway, you'll be going to school on the rez," he says as he turns toward La Push.

"How's that going to work?" I ask as I turn to face him with my brow raised.

"Seth offered to gather the work you miss on the days you can't go-"

"So every day?" I ask with a smirk.

"Maybe, but at least you'll get to graduate," he says with a smile.

"I know Sam imprinted on Mel," I say quietly.

He swallows thickly and turns his head to look at me.

"I also know that girl that was with Seth and the rest attacked us. You weren't there, but I'm sure you heard from the Cullens or even Seth," I say as he nods.

"How do you know all of this?" he asks.

"Dad talks to himself when he works and he has quite a few books. He also talks a little too loud when he's on the phone," I say with a chuckle.

"So, how much do you know? Do you know about-"

"The Cullens? Yeah. They aren't hard to figure out and I may have heard them talking while I was having a seizure. It's a little fuzzy, but I did catch some things. They're vampires and so is that girl you were chasing after for years," I say with a grin.

"Yeah... There are a few things I need to clear up there," he says with a chuckle as he cuts the engine.

"Do tell," I say with a smirk.

He tells me about everything that lead up to my family's arrival. How he got his own pack because he went head to head with Sam about killing Bella when she was pregnant with Renesmee and how he imprinted on her. Bella was pissed, but eventually she forgave him.

"You know, what you did was incredible. You haven't even shifted yet and you took on Leah. You bested her in human form. Yeah you got hurt, but you made her bow to you. Everyone felt the command you forced. Seth almost bowed to you. You could be a Beta to a powerful Alpha or an Alpha yourself. I'm not really all that surprised because we share DNA, but still, I'm proud. I do wonder why Aunty Tae never shifted," he says thoughtfully, though Leah was the first female to shift that he'd heard of.

"I guess it skipped her," I say softly.

He looks at me with a sympathetic smile and opens the door to his house. Billy rolls up to us with a smile.

"Hey Uncle Billy," I say softly and he takes my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

He smiles at me and Jake leads me to the back of the house. He pushes open a door and gestures for me to step in. All of my stuff is already filling the room. My books take up the shelves and my clothes fill the closet.

I look down at my acoustic guitar leaning up against the desk in the far corner and then back at Jake. I smile and hug him tightly. He seems taken back by it, but soon wraps his arms around me.

"Thanks Jake," I say softly.

"You're welcome, Maya. I left a list of numbers on your desk if you need to call me or Dad or even Chief Swan," he says with a chuckle.

"I doubt I'll need you're future grandfather-in-law's help with anything. I'm sure no one comes around here to break in," I say with a grin.

"You're right, but I thought you may have need of it if you were in town at some point," he says.

"I don't think that will be happening any time soon," I say with a sad smile.

"All right. You get settled in and later we'll go to Sam's for dinner if you're feeling up to it," he says.

"Sure," I say with a nod, wondering if Mel will be there.

"I'm sure she'll be there Maya," he says with a smile.

He shuts the door as he leaves and I look around the room. I go to the desk and pick up the list of numbers, putting each one into my phone.

I sit down on the twin sized bed and look out the window. I see Seth walking toward the house from the woods. He sees me and smiles widely before waving. I grin back and give him a small wave. He walks out of my view and I hear the front door open along with Billy as he greets him.

A light knock hits my door.

"Come in," I say softly.

Seth opens the door and leans against the door frame.

"Hey Maya. How are you settling in?" he asks.

"Pretty well. I hear you're going to be helping me with school," I say with a smile.

"Yup," he says popping the p before plopping down next to me on my bed.

"Thank you," I say as I look into his dark eyes.

"It's the least I could do after Leah almost killing you," he says.

"Yeah..."

"Not her finest moment, but she does feel horrible about it. I gave her quite the scolding along with Sam and pretty much everyone else, but what got her was you making her bow. No human has ever done that. Well... I guess you're not entirely human, are you?" he says with a grin.

"I guess not," I say.

"Come on. Dinner at Sam's is always good. Especially when everyone is there. Say, for instance, Mel and me of course," he says with a smirk.

I ram his shoulder with mine playfully as I grin.

"Shut up, Cub," I tease.

"Cub? Oh no. Not you too. I can't handle another person calling me a pup. I just got everyone to quit," he says looking hurt.

"It's okay, Cubby. It'll be our little secret," I say with a teasing smile.

He smiles back and grabs my hand. I look at him with my brow raised before he drags me out of my room and through the front door, on our way to Sam's.