New Arrivals

Maya

I bid Seth goodbye with a nod, as I tend to eat alone, and walk back outside. The walk is slow and comforting as I prepare myself for the possible bloodlust that comes with the first taste of human blood every time. Upon reaching my favorite spot, I jump on top of the mossy boulder and sit down. I take in the sounds of the woods, relaxing further before even thinking about bringing the straw to my lips. With a soft sigh, I look down at the cup and slowly bring it closer to my mouth, but a sudden presence makes my head turn sharply to my right.

A growl surfaces from my gut and I bare my fangs, showing that I'm not to be messed with when eating. Alistair's red eyes catch me by surprise, as they widen. I try to control myself and force my fangs to retract. The man stays a good distance away, a shuddering breath coming from his lips. I lower my head and sigh softly, keeping the cup sat between my legs.

"I'm not going to attack you, if that's what you're worried about," I say quietly, knowing he can hear me.

"What are you?" he asks, his figure almost unnoticeable behind the tree.

"That's really up for interpretation... Some consider me a monster, but others say I'm special," I reply, my eyes staring out in front of me.

"What do you say?" he asks, his voice a little louder, so I turn to see that he's closer.

"Dangerous," I mutter and look away from him.

"How did you come to be this way?" is his next question and I chuckle dryly.

"Disease," I start, bringing the cup up to my lips.

"And a bite..."

"Vampirism can cancel out any disease," he states and I nod, sipping the blood.

I exhale a groan of pleasure through my nose at the taste of the blood.

"The disease didn't exactly create what I am," I reply and turn to face him, knowing my eyes have turned either black or bright green.

"What did?" he asks, standing even closer.

"Genetics... I'm half shifter," I answer, blinking in hopes to remove the change in my eyes before returning them to the spot of grass I've been staring at and sip the blood some more.

"That shouldn't be possible... The disease must have kept you from-" I cut him off as I finish his sentence.

"Kept me from shifting? It allowed me to shift halfway... It was...excruciating... The bite wasn't even that bad..."

"Did you have trouble like Newborns?" Alistair asks and I sigh once more, turning to give him a look of annoyance only to find him standing beside my boulder.

"Why all the questions?" I ask, irritation evident in my tone.

"Call it curiosity... Call it caution... Either way, I'd like to know more," he states and I raise a brow before shrugging.

"I attacked my own sister... Almost tore her throat out... Definitely not my best moment," I reply softly, feeling my chest tighten at the memory.

"Didn't eat for...so long. Longer than I could accurately give a timetable for..."

"Sounds difficult," he mutters and I scoff through a laugh.

"Not as hard as actually eating," I state and turn to see him sitting beside me.

"Being a Newborn makes you ravenous. You only think about your next meal when feeding on humans. You're still young, you'll figure it out over time," he says earnestly and I give him a small smile.

"It's getting easier... This is the first time someone was able to sit with me while I fed, so I think I'm headed in the right direction," I joke softly and an almost unnoticeable smile appears on his lips.

I hear footsteps approaching and stand with my cup gripped in my fingertips. My eyes and ears focus in on the person walking toward us and I hop down from the boulder. Carlisle comes into view and I turn to find Alistair gone, a frown settling on my lips. I turn back around to face Carlisle and return the smile he gives me.

"How have you been, Maya? Has your diet improved any?" he asks and I nod.

"A little. I can handle small amounts of normal food, but not often," I reply with a slight frown.

"I'm sure it'll get easier. Before you know it, you'll be able to choose which you want to eat," he reassures and I smile.

"Come, it's been a while since I last looked you over."

I follow him back to the house and into the makeshift medical room I could find with my eyes closed. He has me sit on the bed and gathers some equipment, checking my heart and my back to see if the scar was still present. The scar is completely gone and I'm, apparently, healthy as a horse. After that's all done, I walk outside to see what Bella and Edward are doing. It doesn't take long to find them with Senna and Zafrina.

I watch from a distance as to not disturb them. Watching Edward smile at whatever Zafrina is making him see, brings a smile to my lips as well. My brows knit when I catch something about a shield, almost getting defensive when Kate tries to shock Bella. The sound of Jake and the new shifter's barking hits my ears and I turn sharply. I take off in that direction as quickly as I can, hiding behind a tree when the sound grows closer.

The scent of vampires makes me bristle and my hackles raise, a growl rising up my throat. It seems that the vampires are playing with them as they run them in circles from the trees. When they stop on a rocky ledge, I take my opportunity and dig my claws into the tree. I climb it quickly, my fangs growing in my mouth as my eyes glow, and jump above them. Looking down as if stalking prey, I slink near the edge.

The sound of the others running catches my attention, but I keep my eyes on the two vampires below me.

"Vladimir, Stephan... You're a long way from home," Carlisle greets and I keep my eyes on them for their reaction, but they seem unbothered.

"We heard that the Volturi were moving against you, but that you would not stand alone," the white haired one states.

"We didn't do what we were accused of," Carlisle says and Vladimir responds dismissively.

"We do not care what you did, Carlisle."

"We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged," Stephan says with a smile.

"We don't intend to fight," Carlisle says and I move my eyes to him just to find his eyes on me as well.

"Aro's witnesses will be disappointed. They do love a good fight," Stephan says and the two share a chuckle.

"Are you still hoping they'll listen?" Vladimir asks and I growl lowly.

"Maya... Come down, there's no threat here," Carlisle commands and I obey, dropping down in front of them with a snarl.

The shock on their faces doesn't surprise me anymore as I turn to look at the new additions to our group of witnesses. They seem a little intrigued, but indifferent to my presence and I turn to walk back to the house. The whole way there, I wonder where Seth is. I'll have to find him if I plan on getting some sleep tonight.