The Return

Maya

Days or maybe weeks have passed and I only think of Mel and Seth. I wonder if she's still alive. Will she forgive me? Will any of them? Sam won't and I don't blame him. I don't expect anyone to welcome me back with open arms as I walk slowly through the woods.

A hell of a time to disappear when the Volturi are after the Cullens because of a misunderstanding with Irina. My stomach growls and I ignore it as I have since I bit Mel. I know that I'll need my strength, but I can't bring myself to eat any living thing or try to eat normal food. I feel hollow and weak, as well as sore and tired. A rustling beside me captures my attention quickly and I stop walking.

I close my eyes and wait for the vampire, whose scent I don't recognize. When they come my way I stick my hand out and grab their throat. I open my eyes and see a red eyed man of Egyptian descent. His eyes are wide with fear and confusion.

"Who are you and why are you here?" I ask in a low voice that carries the weight of dominance.

"I'll tell you if you let me go," he says and I tilt my head to look at him with my brow raised.

I release him and he falls back to the ground, landing on his feet.

His eyes look over me curiously.

"I'm Benjamin and you...are very interesting," he says with a curious smile.

"What are you?"

"Nothing good," I say with a shrug.

"I'm Maya. You didn't answer the why you're here part."

"Depends who's asking," he says playfully.

I groan and breathe a sigh before looking at him with a bored face.

"Maya?" a familiar voice asks.

"Carlisle?" I ask and look behind Benjamin.

"What are you doing all the way out here?" he asks with his brows knit.

"I'm sure you'll hear all about it when we get to the house," I say bitterly before sighing again and looking at him apologetically.

"So you're here to witness, is that right, Benjamin?" I ask as he smiles at me.

"I can't wait to meet the rest of the family," he says excitedly.

I smile and roll my eyes. I could see myself spending some time with the boy. He's curious and I can feel a bond building.

As we get closer my heart begins to race and my mouth dries. The burning in the back of my throat intensifies and I stop short, still behind the trees as I swallow thickly.

"Maya?" Carlisle asks as his hand touches my shoulder.

"I can't... I can't go in there... I don't-I can't see their faces after what I did... I-" I let the sentence fall to the ground.

"What happened?" he asks softly.

"I-I can't... The thirst... The hunger... I-" I stutter unable to finish my sentence.

"There you are. The Egyptians, I think one said his name was Benjamin, told me you were- Maya?"

I stiffen before turning to face the booming voice I know so well.

"Hey, Emmett," I say softly.

"Where have you been? We've been looking for you," he says as he walks closer and wraps his arms around me in a big bear hug.

"I-I couldn't... Not after-" I stumble with my words again.

"She's fine. She didn't die or turn. Everyone's worried about you, Maya," he says softly as he looks into my sunken face.

"You're not eating, are you?"

I shake my head and bite my dry lip. I look over his shoulder and suck in a breath.

Everyone's eyes fall on the small teen before us and I take a step back.

"I've seen that she's fine... I should go," I say and turn to leave before she can see me.

"Maya?" her sweet voice asks and I close my eyes and stop moving.

I slowly turn around and look at the ground, but as her steps grow closer I look up at her wide eyed.

"Stop! No closer," I say desperately as I hold my hand up and she stops walking.

"It's okay Maya. I trust you. I know you didn't mean to hurt me," she says and I choke back a sob.

"What happened?" asks Carlisle from beside me, but I refuse to speak as I walk around my twin as far away as I can and continue to the Cullen house.

Before I make it to the front door a hand grabs my arm and turns me around. I look up into golden eyes and then I look to the ground. Cold fingers lift my chin and peer into my eyes.

"Maya... It's so good to see you," says Edward softly.

"Eddie please... I don't want to-" I say trying to hold in the pain as I choke on my words.

"Hey, hey... It's okay. I know you'd never hurt anyone on purpose, but you can't punish yourself by starving," he says gently and tears flow down my cheeks freely.

He pulls me to his chest and I crumble under the agony of what I'd done to my sister and the thirst. He strokes my hair and rubs my back as I sob into his chest, soaking his shirt with my tears. When I finally pull away my lips are swollen from biting them and my eyes are puffy. He walks me inside and the room quiets when I enter. The Cullen family have sad eyes as they look over my dirty clothes that are torn, my sunken face and muddy bare feet.

"Why don't you go clean up?" Edward whispers into my ear.

"Bella will find you something to wear."

I nod and swiftly run upstairs, leaving no footprints behind as I barely touch the ground. The looks I received as soon as I arrived only made me want to run even more. I don't want their pity, but I can't help missing their familial warmth. The Cullens have been nothing if not understanding of me even before getting to know me. I owe them more than I will ever be able to repay, but I will try my best to be better for them.