The Morning Of The End

Maya

Seth and I jump into Edward's car before dawn, driving as fast as possible to the other shifters. Spending the night at Seth's favorite place afforded us the privacy we had been lacking at the Cullens'. Waking up in his arms felt unlike anything I've ever felt, especially given how this day could go. We abandon his car a good distance away from the meeting spot and Seth strips before shifting while I choose to run. I have to hunt on the way to make sure I'm at my strongest.

Arriving, we find everyone else already shifted and waiting for the right moment to walk to their positions. Mine is beside Seth and Jake, who will be beside Bella, Edward and Renesmee. I have a bad feeling swirling in my stomach and my face shows it as Seth's thoughts try to reassure me. Whatever happens today, I'm prepared to fight. The wolves start to move and I step out with them, the wind blowing my thick curls in my face.

I keep my face as stoic as I can and take my place between Seth and Jake until I look over at Renesmee. A reassuring smile takes over my lips and she gives me one in return. My head turns back to face the large group of vampires Aro and his brothers amassed to witness our end. After they remove their hoods Carlisle steps forward and speaks to Aro in a calm, and soft tone.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we use to, in a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle, but a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us," Aro says, his crimson eyes looking at each of us.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken," Carlisle insists, but Caius tilts his head in disbelief.

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools."

Carlisle raises his voice so every one of their witnesses can hear as I look at them, trying to gather as much information as possible.

"She is not an immortal! These witnesses can attest to that...or you can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius calls angrily.

"I will collect every facet of the truth," Aro states as he raises his hand to halt his brother.

"From someone more central to the story...Edward as the child clings to your Newborn mate."

His tone has me suppressing a growl in favor of stroking Seth's fur.

"I assume you are involved," Aro continues as he steps forward with his hand raised.

Edward looks down at Renesmee with loving eyes before turning them to Bella. I look at him with worry, though his thoughts are trying to reassure, he can't even be sure for himself as to how this will go. So, we all just watch him walk to Aro. As much as it makes that feeling knot my stomach, I try to think positively of our possible outcome.

I watch as that beautiful shimmer appears around Bella before snapping back. Aro takes Edward's hand and smiles, absolutely mesmerized by what he is seeing, before letting Edward's hand slip from his. A look of wonder passes over his face and he looks to Renesmee.

"I'd like to meet them," he murmurs, his eyes moving over to me and then, to Edward.

Edward's thoughts bombard me and I snap my eyes over to him. His face shows both fear and distress as he doesn't want to.

Jake growls and Bella takes Renesmee's hand as they walk ahead. We follow close behind, but Bella stops to look over her shoulder and I turn as I hear Emmett's thoughts. He keeps his face stoic as he follows us up. Once we stop in front of him, Aro's eyes roam over Bella.

"Ah... Young Bella," the way he rolls her name off of his tongue doesn't sit right with me and I have to keep my eyes from flashing in warning.

"Immortality becomes you..."