The Last Witness

3rd Person

Birds chirp and twitter as morning light fills the cab of the truck. The sun's rays glide over Maya's back and shoulders, making them glisten like diamonds. Seth's peacefully sleeping face can be seen above a messy mop of curly, black hair. Knuckles rap on the window; waking the two teens and Maya looks up to meet the emotionless face of Jacob. The girl's eyes widen with embarrassment and worry for Seth.

Seth gulps in fear as his eyes meet Jacob's, tensing when his jaw clenches.

"Holy fuck! Oh shit! We fell asleep in the truck! Shit, shit, shit! Fuck!" Maya whisper-yells in panic and quickly pulls on her clothes while Seth does the same.

She looks at him fearfully, Jacob now gone, and sees that Seth looks sad.

"What's wrong, Seth?" Maya asks, her brows knitting in concern.

"Do...Do you regret it?" he asks softly, looking down at his hands.

She takes his face in her hands, a loving look in her eyes.

"No, baby... Never," she says as she looks into his deep, brown eyes.

A smile stretches over his lips and turns lopsided.

"Good," he murmurs, pulling her into his lap to kiss her lovingly.

Maya

Despite finding us in Seth's truck, Jake doesn't mention it, but he does look at Seth with a scowl. It's obvious that Seth's walking on thin ice around him, even the vampires have taken notice. Every time we are in the same room with Jake, Seth moves away from me. The first time it happened, I didn't think anything of it. I only take notice as it happens more throughout the day.

Having had enough, I decide to see what the problem is. Looking into Seth's mind for a moment, I tap into his thoughts.

Okay Jake, I'm not touching her... Please, don't kill me...

A snort escapes me and draws the attention of several people, but I just wave them off with a smile as I try not to laugh. I look at Edward and see amusement on his face from listening in on Seth's thoughts as well. When his face turns stony, and he refuses to look me in the eyes, I know he's seen something he wasn't suppose to.

If vampires could blush, boy would be. Looking into his mind, I see exactly what Seth was thinking about and blush intensely. Edward's golden eyes lock with mine for only a moment, as I clamp my lips into a thin line, before I avoid his gaze and move to walk out of the room. I look at Jake on my way out and catch snippets of his thoughts. They're mostly growls and grumbles, but I manage to hear a few words.

...my cousin...you touch... I'll kill you...too young... Pup...

I furrow my and scowl at him, my eyes slits of irritation.

"Stop being pissy toward Seth, Jake. It's none of your business. Leave. It. Be," I say lowly, a commanding undertone laced with a growl leaving my throat.

Jake looks at me, bewildered, and straightens up. My tone takes everyone in the room by surprise. Edward grins and Benjamin smirks while Jake looks anywhere but at me. I grab Seth's hand and walk out the front door.

Once we stop on the front step, he gives me a sheepish look and rubs the back of his neck. I grab a hold of his shirt, watching as his eyes widen in surprise , and press my lips to his firmly.

"I love you," I whisper against them and he smiles, pulling me closer by my hips.

"I love you too," he murmurs and kisses me tenderly before deepening it.

Seth's hand cups my cheek and my fingers tangle in his hair. He breaks the kiss and presses his forehead to mine as we pant, hot breath fanning our faces. I grin because of the lopsided smile on his swollen lips.

Pure bliss fills my heart to the brim and I bask in the warmth his body provides as I bury my face in his neck. Moments like this are few and far between lately, so I cling to them when they do happen. I look up into his twinkling eyes and gently stroke his cheek with my thumb.

"Don't let Jake get to you. Who cares if we're together? I mean, yeah, it sucks that he found us in your truck-"

"Naked," he adds, drawing his brows up a bit and dropping his eyes to the ground.

"But," I continue, lifting his chin with two fingers.

"What we do together is none of his concern. You're my mate and I love you. No one else's opinion matters."

My ears pick up tires hitting the path and I turn my head to see that Carlisle and Esme have returned. The black car shines under the sun as it comes to a stop and three vampires climb out.

Bella and Edward walk out the door, making Seth and I step aside. The vampire's eyes latch to me and Seth before returning to Carlisle and Esme.

"You've sentenced me to a life on the run," the man states and I tilt my head slightly as I knit my brows.

There is clear fear within his thoughts and it has me confused as to why he chose to come if he was so afraid.

"I'll be in the attic," Alistair says before jumping up and disappearing into the shadows under the roof.

Seth takes my hand and pulls me inside, past several vampires that make my wolf uneasy, but I ignore it because they're here to help. We're met by a smirking Emmett as soon as we get near the kitchen and I sigh softly.

"That time again?" I ask and his smirk widens, his hand holding that, oh-so-familiar, styrofoam cup out to me.

"Lunch time," he says cheerily and I roll my eyes, but take it and give him a smile.

"Thank you, Bub," I reply and he grins.

"Anytime, sis," he says, ruffling my hair until I growl at him.