Training Bella

Maya

I talk with Emmett for a bit -after he changed out of Rose's dress- and tried working on my manipulation some more. Keeping it simple and small is difficult given that there isn't much I can make someone do that either won't embarrass them or hurt them. I refuse to hurt the people I care about or those helping us keep Renesmee safe. I've been warned to keep my gifts from Aro as best I can because, though I am a new species like Renesmee, he could decide to take me. This thought tumbles around in my head, making me anxious and scared that this will turn out exactly the way Alistair and the Romanians expect.

Taking a moment to right my head, I walk outside and breathe in the clean air. My thoughts settle and I start to relax a little, but voices permeate that quiet space.

"You need to visualize it. See how it moves...what color it is," I follow the sound of Kate's voice and lean up against a tree to watch.

"Now, picture it expanding... Will it to go beyond you," she continues and Bella closes her eyes, an intense look of concentration appearing on her face.

For just a moment I see a shimmer surround her and my eyes widen as it clicks in my mind. That's her shield, the reason no one can use their gifts on her besides Jasper and Alice. When it disappears, she looks up in disappointment.

"I think she needs something to motivate her," Kate states, looking at Edward.

His face shows his reluctance, but he steps in front of her anyway. He raises his fist slowly and Kate reaches out to touch it.

"Wait, Edward, I'm not ready," Bella warns, but Kate touches him and he falls to the forest floor, crying out in pain.

"I told you I wasn't ready," Bella says and Emmett speaks up.

"Dude, you're not motivating her."

"You wanna go?" Edward asks and Emmett shakes his head as I chuckle, earning their attention for a moment.

"Don't mind me. I'm just spectating," I state, a grin on my face.

Bella turns and tries once more to no avail as Edward falls to the ground again.

"This one's on full power," Kate states as she wiggles her fingers.

 He stands up and looks at his wife pleadingly. Bella's eyes train on him and a beautiful shimmer falls over them both before Kate's hand lands on Edward's wrist.

His face shows his discomfort as we all look on in awe. When his eyes open, he looks at Bella and the shield falls.

"It's painful, but bearable," he states and she grins.

"Okay, we should go again," Bella says excitedly and Edward turns to look at Emmett.

"Uh, no. I'm good," he replies quickly, not wanting to get shocked.

"I'll do it," I say as I step forward.

"You think that's a good idea? What if you shift and attack her or Seth finds out?" Edward asks and I smirk.

"Thanks for the concern, Eddie, but Seth will understand and I think I can handle a little pain," I say as I tuck my hands in my pockets.

"She says that now," Garret murmurs as Edward moves out of the way so I can take his place.

"Please do your best to cover me, Bella. I'd hate to scare her off," I state as I look over my shoulder at the woman.

She nods and concentration covers her face once more. I take a deep breath and raise my hand up to Kate, palm up.

"Ready," she asks and I nod, closing my eyes.

The pain hits and my eyes fly open, a roar escaping my throat as my fangs elongate.

My claws dig into my palm as they grow and Kate jumps back. I lean forward, panting heavily, and shake my head to return my eyes to normal.

"You okay?" Edward asks softly and I nod, straightening up.

"Man, that hurts," I groan and Kate chuckles.

"You're taking it like a champ though," she jokes and I laugh.

Shaking my hands out at my sides, I crack my neck and straighten up again. My face hardens slightly as I look past Kate to the ground, nodding that I'm ready to continue.

"Half power," she warns and I gulp, knowing it's going to be excruciating.

I lift my hand and she closes her fingers around my wrist, my eyes bugging out as I roar in pain once more.

My knees buckle and I fall to the ground, growls leaving my lips as I force myself to stay in control.

"Maya? Are you sure you can continue?" Emmett asks and I look up at him, huffing past my fangs as my eyes glow.

"I'm fine... She needs to learn to cover more than just her and Edward. I'll take the necessary pain," I growl and he backs up with his eyes wide.

Bella grabs my hand and helps me up. My eyes remain glowing and my fangs out as I stare at Kate, hoping beyond hope that Bella gets it right so I don't tear off the blonde's pretty face. I raise my clawed hand, palm up, and her gold eyes dart to it hesitantly. Edward makes a sound of discontent from the side before I speak to Bella.

"Imagine I'm Renesmee. Imagine that Kate is Jane. Hold that thought in your head and let that rubber-band expand to protect me," I say firmly, my eyes still on Kate.

"Full power," Kate whispers and I hold down the whimper that tries to escape.

I let my mind wander to a safe space as I watch Kate's hand land on mine, glowing that bright blue as it shocks me. There is a small amount of pain running up my arm, but it's nowhere near as bad. My eyes widen and I look at the shimmer surrounding me. A smile stretches over my lips as I return to my human form. It's gone in no time and I turn to grin at Bella.

"That's some good work, momma bear," I tease and she chuckles along with Edward.

The wind blows and a smell hits my nose. I know it too well as the scent of human blood and my body shudders, like a shark smelling chum.

"Maya?" Edward calls, but his voice sounds so far away.

It's fresh, spilt not long ago, and it leaves me ravenous. My throat burns and I whine, a growl surfacing as my eyes shift completely black.

"Shit, shit! No, you've been doing so well," Edward says and I feel his hands grab me, pinning my arms to my sides.

"Control it," he whispers harshly in my ear and I huff with effort.

"I'm trying," I growl, but still when the smell grows stronger.

My mouth fills with saliva and my sight tunnels until I'm left virtually blind.

I don't really know what happens next. All I feel is wind hitting my face and dirt kicking up under my feet as voices trail behind me. I drop to all fours, a roar of hunger ripping through me as I shift. When I get closer to the source of the smell, I'm tackled by something and tussle with it for a moment before yelping in pain. My breathing is labored as I fall in and out of consciousness.