Chapter Fourteen: Being a Father

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Fourteen **********

I'm new to all of this dad stuff. Taking care of a kid is not like I imagined. Well, taking care of Tyrus is different than what I envisioned. I expected things would be easy. We shared similar genetics, so there shouldn't be any reason why we wouldn't get along. I was wrong. 

After the first day with Ty, I realized he wasn't much of a talker. Ironic, right? He just played to himself with the toys I purchased. He was a pretty clean kid too. He barely made any mess and only occupied himself in a single space. Even when I ordered pizza and turned on a movie, kid-friendly of course, he just sat next to me quietly. He didn't seem uncomfortable. In fact, he sat right underneath me as if it was the most natural thing in the world. The kid just didn't speak as much as I expected. I guess genes are a bitch. The kid was everything I was, and someone I hated how silent he was. It got me wondering about whether everyone felt the same way about me. 

But Ty wasn't just a copy of me. He managed to get his worse traits from his mother. Or at least they were the worse in my opinion. In the past few days, I found myself becoming weirdly fascinated by how much a little person could favor two persons. Ty's overly expressive features were something he got from his mom. Anytime he felt any emotion, it was evident on his face. Then there was the overthinking. How does a seven-year-old overthink at such a young age? Between Rylee's traits and my own, Ty was bound to be a walking time bomb of trapped emotions. 

So, I caved. I went about asking him about his life. Thankfully, he was more of a chatterbox once he got comfortable. He shared a lot of things with me. Like how he enjoys playing football even though he knows Rylee doesn't want him to play. That kind of caught me off guard. Rylee came from a football family. She even enjoyed watching my games. Why would she have such an aversion to our son playing it? 

Tyrus seemed to think she's afraid of him getting hurt. That could be a possibility, but Rylee was well versed in the sport to know how best to protect him. It just didn't make sense. Before I could probe further, Ty admitted to being close to expulsion for fights. There was no denying the boy was a bull. The day Rylee passed out, he launched at us as if we were real threats to his mother. Ty was a real fuse. Huh. 

I found out Rylee gave him the same middle name as my own. Tyrus spoke about it with such pride. He babbled about how his mother told him he deserved a name that matched him. He loved how it meant ruler and champion as he believed he was just that. I didn't bother to tell him that she named him after me. Somehow, that relaxed me, knowing he carries part of me. 

But then there was the issue with his surname. Rylee wasn't budging with it. She was firm in her stance that it should Ty's decision. But, how was I supposed to bring up changing surnames to a seven-year-old, I just found out existed a few days ago? 

Besides, there were other matters I needed to address. One being the world finding out about Ty before I could announce it. I called Don about it. He took the news fairly well. He was on his way over to present angles we could take that wouldn't ruin my career. Not that I cared, Ty was my priority now. There were other means of taking care of him than football.

When Don came by, Tyrus was busy watching the sports channel. Don wanted to see him, so I allowed him a few seconds to glance at Ty before directing him out of the theatre and towards the lounge room. Don's eyes were twinkling with ideas and the thought of money. I was a bit nervous. 

"I would ask if you got a DNA test, but after seeing the kid, I don't think it's necessary," Don chuckled, going behind the bar to pour himself a drink. Don was over a lot. He was more of a friend than a manager. Obviously, he did his job. He was good at what he does, but the years have built a friendship between us that I appreciate.

"Yeah, he's mine. He has the same toes as my dad. Isn't that crazy?" I ramble, rubbing my beard just thinking about it. There were so many things in him that I saw in myself. I only wished I saw him growing up. 

"So, the mom is she your high school-" Don started, taking a sip of his drink. I nod. She was more than just my high school sweetheart. She was my heart at one point. I loved her. 

"Any chance you two can rekindle something?" Don asked, his eyebrow raised in curiosity. Why was everyone hoping we would get back together? Hayden was already on my ass about Rylee. His constant nagging had me blow off Twyla three times this week. I'm not sure why I'm even listening, especially when my cock is hard every fucking day thinking about either her or Rylee. I groan. Rylee was becoming a favorite of his. The fantasies were immaculate.

My mind drifted to the snapshots of her from each time I saw her. Today, when she dropped Tyrus off, she was in some leggings that looked painted on her body. They stuck to every curve. She tried to hide it with an oversized yellow tee, but it did little to hide her shape. Fuck, when she turned around, it was definitely a sight to behold. If Tyrus hadn't alerted me of his presence, I'm sure I would have remained in the doorway admiring her ass. 

"Is that the route you're thinking of?" I asked, deflecting the question. 

"I mean, it would make this easier. Rekindling of old lovers, surprise kid, happy family man! That's a moneymaker right there," Don smiles at me. He was right. It sounded good. People would eat that shit right up. But there was one problem. 

Rylee and I weren't in a good space. As much as I fantasized about fucking her, that wasn't enough to sacrifice the hurt she made me endure and continue to make me feel with our son. 

"What else you got?" I asked. Don sighed after realizing there was no chance in hell for his first option. 

"We inform the public of his existence under the guise that you and his mother didn't want him growing up in the limelight. You say you were always there, so we don't chance to ruin your image with deadbeat father comments," Don explained. Deadbeat? Gosh, I didn't even consider those comments. Sigh, it was definitely a possibility. It's not like football players had reputable reputations for being loyal or handling their responsibilities. 

"You're sure option one is off the table?" Don pushed further. I frowned at him. Before I could respond to his nagging, Maggy, one of my maids, came through the door. Behind her was Rylee. She had switched out of the leggings for some washed-out jeans and a white button-up shirt that was definitely see-through. Her breast spilled out of the nude lacy bra. She wore some nude heels that elevated her a bit from her short stature. 

She must have gone out because she was wearing makeup, and my attention locked in on her glossed lips. Fuck. Everything about her is fucking sexy. 

"Bradshaw, you are one lucky fucker!" Don whispered, checking Rylee out. His eyes trailed her every curve. Something about the way he looked at her pissed me off. 

"Eyes off," I growled. Don's eyes snapped aware of her, and he sent an apologetic look to me. 

"Mr. Bradshaw, Ms. Scott is here," Maggy announced. I nodded to her, and she left, leaving Rylee by herself. Rylee came into the room. When her eyes landed on Dons, she sent him a small smile. 

"Sorry to interrupt. I realized I forgot to pack Ty's pajamas." She explains, holding out a little blue backpack with Tyrus' name on it. I take it from her, my gaze ablaze on her lips. As a teenager, she was able to ruin me with those luscious lips. Part of me wondered what they could do as a woman. 

She bites her lips, her eyes shying away from my gaze. Oh, so I still had an effect on her. Did I? Her eyes pierced into mines. Those creamy pools of innocence were calling me into her. The heat between us radiated, warming the room. I couldn't help my eyes from wandering to the rest of her body, resting on those plump breasts of hers. I wanted to play with her nubs between my fingers. I wanted to suck on them and hear her moan my name between those lips. Fuck.

"Rylee Scott, is it?" Don asked, interrupting the heat between Rylee and me. 

"Yes," she answered excitedly. 

Don smirked, "I have a proposition for you."