Chapter Seventeen: Each Other's Forever

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Seventeen **********

"I'm nervous. I know it's crazy to say when I've known Hayden for years but, I'm about to be married in an hour," Mikah ranted. She was clutching tightly to her white silk robe with the word 'Bride' embroidered onto the back. Despite her nerves, she looked stunning. Her dark tresses were loosely curled and slicked back with a rhinestone headpiece. She wore pearl dropped earrings, which shimmered against the peaking sun. Her natural makeup paired well with her look. 

"You're marrying the love of your life, Mikah," I assured her. She pouted, trying to hold back the tears. We were in her room at the Everton Ambiance Hotel. The other bridesmaids were getting dressed, and Mikah called me in to help her get dressed. The photographer was outside waiting for Mikah to put on her dress. 

"Yeah. I don't know. It feels like I'm losing something, like getting married is the end," she looked up to the ceiling, trying to prevent the tears from falling and ruining her makeup. 

"You're losing nothing. You're gaining so much, Mikah," I comforted her. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around her, trying not to smudge her makeup or mines. She sniffled a bit. Even though we were apart for years, there was something about Mikah that would never change. She hated change. 

"Let things change, Mikah. It's going to be amazing. Just another adventure for you and Hayden to explore," I joked, adding the theatrics. Mikah chuckled at my antics, clearing the air of the tension. She got up from the bed from where she was sitting and flung her hands in the air. 

"Let's get married!" She shouted. 

An hour later, we found ourselves standing outside of the Catholic church Mikah's family frequented every Sunday. Hayden and the groomsmen were already inside. The procession of the bridesmaids had begun. I gave Mikah a quick smile before entering the church. Mikah selected a sweet ballad for our procession. I'm not sure if Mikah chose it to match the wedding theme, but it did. I found myself swaying to the beat of the music. 

Looking up, my eyes met Hayden's. He warmly smiled at me. There was something so wholesome about Hayden that I didn't appreciate until this moment. Maybe it was knowing he loved Mikah all these years or that deep down, he cared about his friends more than any of us did. My eyes drifted to Theo, who stood next to him as his best man. 

Theo was frowning with a stone-cold look in his eyes. I rolled my eyes at him. Things were less than good between us. Recently, he asked to change Ty's last name, and I explained once again that it was Ty's decision. For some reason, he didn't like my response. I'm assuming the conversation came back up since Ty met his parents for the first time a few days ago. Theo informed me of his decision to inform his parents. I agreed because we were only a few moments away from letting the world know of his existence. 

Based on Theo's annoyed face when he dropped Ty off, I could only assume it did not go well. I tried asking, but in true Theo fashion, he was closed off. Ty didn't offer me much either. He just said they were nice. Like father like son. I tried probing him further about it, but Theo just shrugged me off, and we just went back to hating each other. 

When I arrived at my space, the music alarmed me to indicate the bride was coming. The doors open to reveal a beautiful Hailee, holding her little basket. She was a good mixture of Hayden and Mikah. Adorably, she dropped the pink petals on the ground, sometimes releasing bulks in one spot. She was finished with the flowers long before she got to her father. It was adorable watching Hayden pick her up and kiss her. Mikah's mom took her and sat her next to them. 

In a flash, Mikah came into view. She was stunning. Her father stood proudly next to her. Most people didn't know just how much Mikah looked like her father. One glimpse of him, you saw her. He was also very protective of Mikah. I'm not sure how Hayden managed to endure Mr. Rucci's wrath. He was an intimating man.

Mikah walked gracefully, smiling at Hayden in her spaghetti strap ruffled ball gown. Her breast sat beautifully in the dress. The dress had a plunging neckline with intricately beautiful beading that shimmered against the lights. It contrasted gorgeously against the bouquet of tulips she held. She was so stunning, Hayden burst into tears. He tried wiping them away with the handkerchief Theo offered him. Even though Theo wasn't in my good book nor I in his, I appreciated how he supported Hayden. 

When Mikah arrived, the priest began his officiating, asking who gave this woman to be married to this man. Mikah's father said it was him before handing Mikah off to Hayden. She turned to me and handed the bouquet. I smiled reassuringly at her. She seemed happy; they both did. I heard Hayden tell her how beautiful she looked. I choked by my tears. 

The ceremony was a bit long. Often times, my eyes wandered throughout the church. I took in the awe-stricken guest, the gushing bridesmaids, and the bored groomsmen. There were so many conflicting emotions swirling in the room. Even in all of my boredom,  I wouldn't dare look at Theo. Well, I couldn't after sneaking a glance at him during the vows. His tux was tailored to his body. I didn't know what I liked more. The fit of the suit, the stubble on his face, and the watch he wore that peaked out of his jacket, all added to his appeal. No matter what it was, I felt the warmth forming between my legs from staring at him. So, I avoided looking at him, opting for anything mildly interesting to distract me from the gorgeous man across from me. 

Maybe there was part of me that avoided him because we once thought it would be us married. We spoke about it, our future. During those childish years, we believed we would be the other half of each other's stories. But here we are, barely co-parenting to our seven-year-old.  

"You may kiss your bride," the priest exclaimed, pulling me out of my thoughts. Hayden grinned before leaning in and capturing Mikah's lips. No longer was she Mikah Rucci but Mikah Parker. I beamed brightly at the newly married couple. Was it possible to be happier for someone than yourself? It had to be. Because seeing Mikah stare up at her husband made me happier than I ever was since returning to Everton.