Chapter Twenty-Four: By Far the Best Woman on Earth

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Twenty Four **********

Infuriated isn't the word to express how I'm feeling. Tyrus got into a fight on the first day of school. Why? Because his mother refuses to do what I ask and change his surname. Gosh, she was so fucking stubborn. Of course, kids would doubt his parentage! Who wouldn't when I'm claiming him as my son, but his surname is different? 

Against my better judgment, I drove to Everton from Hadersfield. I was furious, and my frustrations couldn't be satisfied with just a phone call. I wanted Rylee to see how riled up I was. I wanted her to soak up the big "I told you so!". Why? Because she deserved it after denying me the right of being the father to my son. Maybe I was doing too much. Maybe, I could have dialed it down a bit. But I didn't. 

I got to the house, doors slamming from frustrations I was emitting out of my body. I barely took notice of the changes Rylee made to the house. Well, the additions she added like family pictures of her and Ty over the years on the coffee tables and walls. I rushed up the stairs in the direction of the rooms Maggy informed me that she had occupied. 

"Rylee!" I shouted, trying to alert her of my arrival. I'm certain she knew I was coming. The school contacted both of us. After hearing the reason for Ty's outburst, I'm certain she expected I would be here. One thing Rylee Scott was not was stupid. 

"Lower your fucking tone, Theo! Our son is in the room," Rylee hissed, walking up to me. My brain didn't fail to acknowledge how fucking stunning she looked. She was dressed in grey, short tights that clung to his hips and an Eagles Jersey. Her hair was in a messy bun with a few curls out of place. She was fucking beautiful. But, her beauty was just a slight distraction from how I was feeling. 

"When are we going to change his name?" I asked, getting straight to the point. Rylee sighs, brushing the loose strands behind her ears. She frowns, crossing her arms. 

"Are you serious right now?"

"Are you? Our son just got into a fight because of his surname, and you don't think we need to change it?" I asked in disbelief. 

"We spoke about this, Theo. It is his decision-"

"Are you fucking serious?" I interrupted. The crease in her forehead became more prominent as she frowned deeper. 

"I'm not having this discussion with you again. It is Ty's decision!" Rylee stated, her voice elevating a bit. I brushed my stubble in frustration. I tilted my head back, exhaling my anger out into the air. But I couldn't stop the feeling of inadequacy that crept up to me. Raising my head, I stared into her eyes. Those brown eyes I once loved were gazing back in what I saw as contempt. 

"Sometimes, I think you wished I wasn't Ty's father," I uttered, finally expressing how I felt about the way she made me feel being his dad. Rylee's face warped into a hurt expression I couldn't describe.

"How could you say that to me?"

I frowned, "What else am I supposed to think, Rylee? You kept him from me. You excluded me from his life. Now, you're refusing to compromise on something I find important. How else am I suppose to think when you block out everything about me from his life?"

"I do not!"

"You do! That's why you didn't want him to play football, isn't it?" I shouted. My tone caught her off guard. She froze, realizing I knew her dislike of Ty playing football. I huffed, "Yeah, I knew. You didn't create him by yourself, Rylee. He's my son, too."