Chapter Twenty-Nine: Make Things Better For Our Family

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Twenty-Nine **********

The next few weeks following our argument, I kept Theo away from my heart and body. He would come over to see Ty, and I ensured we were always feet apart. When he reached out to touch me, I took a step back to express my disdain for having contact with him. It pained me to see the hurt flash across his face, but this was something we both needed. He required time to figure his emotions out, and I needed clarity from the fogginess created by us having sex. 

Of course, that clarity was muddled a few times. We had interviews and photoshoots scheduled by Don, which often required Theo touching me in places that set off an expulsion of emotions. Those were the worse. It was as if he knew how much he affected me and wanted to send a reminder of how he overwhelmed my body in ways no other man could.

Sigh, Jordan. It broke my heart to tell him I couldn't start anything with him because Theo was still in my heart. He accepted my rejection of pursuing each other. I could see it hurt him in ways Jordan wouldn't reveal to me. Jordan is a sweet guy, but he is just not my guy. Jordan would make any woman lucky. Heck, he would have made me happy, but Theo is who I wanted. He has always been the one I wanted. My heart never faltered once for him. 

Seeing him with Ty makes my heart swell with so much love and adoration. He was a natural with Ty. Their bond was beautiful. Ty spoke non-stop with his dad on the phone. When he visited, Ty latched on to him every minute he was there. Every chance Ty had, he threw the ball with his dad. Tyrus watched football and cartoons. He ate next to his father. He rambled about things that happened at school that he hadn't told me. Ty often fell asleep next to Theo. It was routine for Theo to lift him to bed, tucking him in. In the midst of this all, we kept things calm for Ty. We didn't argue. We silently agreed an environment in harmony was best for him. 

Things were great. 

Until they weren't. 

It started with little signs. My breast felt more tender than usual. I felt exhausted earlier in the day. I got headaches often, but I assumed the headaches were from job hunting over the past few weeks. I thought the exhaustion and headaches were signs of my menstruation beginning soon. I wasn't too preoccupied with any of the symptoms. Until I was making Ty lunch in the kitchen.

Ty loves peanut butter on toast. It is one of his favorite snacks. It was a Saturday, and we were lounging in the house in our pajamas. While watching television, Ty asked for a snack. Without a thought, I went to make his peanut butter on toast. Opening the jar, I inhaled the scent. It was strong, unlike the mildness I was accustomed to. A wave of nausea hit me so strongly, I barely had time to rush to the bathroom. I emptied my stomach in the sink. 

"Mommy, are you ok?" Ty asked. His voice was tainted with concern. Quickly, I turned on the tap and allowed the contents of my vomit to wash down the drain. Cupping some water, I washed out my mouth. 

"I'm ok," I answered after spitting out the water. The scent of peanut butter proliferated throughout the room from the unclosed jar. My stomach lurched again at the scent. Trying to hold it down, I waved to Ty to get his attention. 

"Tell Maggie to make you a sandwich, ok?" I instructed, barely audible. I was terrified of puking the remainder of my stomach if I spoke any louder. Ty quickly understood and dashed off to find Maggie.