Chapter Sixteen: Fake Coffee Dates

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** Chapter Sixteen **********

Our first 'public' appearance is a coffee date. The entire scene is set perfectly. Don rationalized that keeping things simple would make it more believable. We chose a cute coffee shop outside of Everton. Don selected the table outside with a view of this beautiful mosaic piece on the wall. Don wanted us to look natural and comfortable. So, I opted for some navy chinos, a white ing sleeve shirt, and some white sneakers. I wore shades to match Rylee's need to wear them to make her appearance a secret. However, we found ourselves sliding them above our heads and taking in the warmth of the sun. 

She was dressed in a white snugged dress, which stopped a few inched above her knee. She complimented it with an olive cardigan and some burgundy knee-high boots. She wore a natural look, leaving her hair in a messy bun with her edges sicked down. She looked good. Well, besides the permanent scowl on her face ever since our encounter. She was avoiding my gaze, which worked fine for me. I got to take her in without her piercing holes into my head.

We were currently holding hands, waiting for our order. I could feel Rylee's discomfort. To any outsider, we seemed like a happy couple enjoying the view. But anyone close to us could tell we were faking it. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed the peaking man in the corner with a camera. I pretend I'm enjoying the warmth of the sun by tilting my head up to the rays of warmth. 

"Paparazzi is here," I tell Rylee, feigning a dreamy look at her. Rylee offers a sweet smile. It didn't reach her eyes, so I knew it was fake. I raise her hand and bring it to my lips. She froze when my lips made contact with her skin. Her skin was soft and smelled like a warm summer day. It's weird to describe her scent to a day of a season, but that's the closest thing I could think about for a comparison.

"You're lucky this is all for Ty because I would kill you for touching me like this after I told you to never touch me again," Rylee threatens with a smile etched on her face. I smirk. The frustration on her face is adorable. Rylee Tessa Scott really believed I wouldn't touch her? Her, whose body ruined me for every other woman out there. No, I was going to touch her. I was going to ruin her the way she ruined me. 

"You've already killed me, beautiful. I think running away from me for eight years and keeping my son's existence away from his father is enough to kill me, don't you think?" Her smile faltered slightly. I tried retracting her hand, but I tightened my grip on her. My lips found the back of her hand once more. This time, I trailed light feathery kisses on her wrist. I gazed at her, the discomfort vividly plastered onto her beautiful face. 

"I already explained why I did what I did. Are you going to hate me forever, Theo?" She hissed, her eyes darkening for a moment. Was I? I explained to her I just couldn't hate her. My body craved her. Ever since she walked back into my life, I've wanted nothing but her. Yet, my heart couldn't open up to her the way my body did. No, Rylee has a way of making me feel like my emotions are fickle as if it holds no weight to her. 

"Maybe. Until you can convince me your decision wasn't rash and insensitive, I will resume feeling the way I do," I answer. I lower her hand to the table, our fingers still intertwined. Instinctively, I trace small circles in her palm. 

"You're never going to believe me. I did it all for you. Do you really think I wanted this?" She snapped, her tone a bit higher than usual. I slowly traced small circles in her palm, etching the heat from my body into hers. I felt her relax a bit. Easy. Steady. Slow. That's the way Rylee loved being touched. Of course, there were exceptions, I smirk.