Chapter Two: A Woman Not Wanting to Be Found

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

********** CHAPTER TWO **********

Beep. Beep. My hand shuffled on the bedside, trying to locate my cellphone. I forgot to turn off the stupid alarm. Today was the beginning of my vacation. With the season ended, I had a break before practice resumed. Usually, I would be up for a run, but today, I wanted to sleep in before starting my errands. The alarm continued to ring until a call interrupted the buzzing. I groaned. So much for trying to sleep in. My hand landed on the phone, and I pulled it towards me. I quickly answered and placed it to my ear.

"Hello," I answered, my voice deeper than usual. The mornings were definitely not kind to me. You would think after playing football for over ten years, it would lessen my aversion to it. Nope. Here I was upset about the intrusion to my sleep. 

"Dude, why are you still asleep? We have a fitting in an hour," Hayden exclaimed. I groaned. Oh shit. Yes, we were getting fit for tuxedoes today. How could I forget that?

"Get your ass up! If I don't do this today, Mikah is going to make me sleep in Hailee's room tonight, and I would rather not." Hayden explained, his voice was louder than before. I groaned again, sitting up in the bed. After nine years of dating, Hayden and Mikah were finally getting married. Even after having their daughter five years ago, they still didn't make it official. We all knew why. It had everything to do with her. I sighed.

"I'm up!" I replied, throwing the sheets off me and getting out of bed. 

"Thank you. Please be here on time. You're my best man. I can't be stuck with Chris and KC for too long. I will lose my fucking mind," Hayden ranted. KC and Chris were still good friends of ours. With all of us making the pros, KC and Chris often tag-teamed Hayden since they were on the same team. A team that often beat Hayden's. They never failed to brag about their wins to him. 

"I'll do my best," I reassured him. The call went quiet. The pregnant pause was enough to signal to warn me that Hayden's next remark had to do with her. Even after eight years, she still affects us all. 

"I don't know if Mikah will do this without her. I am still searching, but it's like she ghosted herself," Hayden sighed. I ran my fingers through my hair. How long had we looked for her? How long did we spend double-taking on women with similar features or running through crowds because we believed we saw her? I fucking hated her for it. Now here was my best friend scared that the love of his life wasn't going to marry him because she wanted her best friend there. 

"I think it's time we let her go. She isn't coming back. She had years to walk back into our lives, and she didn't," I explain, trying not to let my emotions get the best of me. Even though I hated saying it, I was right. We held onto her for too long. 

"Yeah, you're right." Hayden agrees. I reassure him I will be at the appointment before hanging up the phone. I quickly shower and get dressed. With the season closed, the media coverage should lessen a bit. I opt for a fitted short-sleeved dark grey button-down shirt with some navy trousers and white sneakers. I grab my wallet, car keys, and shades before heading out. 

On my way to Hayden's fitting, I get a call. It's my manager, Don. He's one of those persons who are good at what they do but annoying during the process of getting it done. Reluctantly, I answer the phone. 

"What do you want, Don?" I inquire, ignoring the pleasantries. He laughs. Did I mention he was annoying? 

"Good morning, Theo. Just wanted to confirm your attendance at the Glove Grant Awards. You're nominated for Athlete of the Year." Don inquired. I sighed. I hated award ceremonies. They were boring. The media hounds you like vultures to raw meat. But, it was the price I paid for the life I wanted. 

"Yeah, I will be there," I agreed, reluctantly. 

Don chirped happily, "Great. Now, I spoke to Jillian's manager, you will be going with her. I just need-"

"What?" I interrupted.

"Come on, Theo. Jillian West is the hottest figure in the media right now. Having her in your arms will secure our big deals. You don't have to do anything except attend the event with her." He explained, but it didn't sit well with me. I've met Jillian a few times. She is an extremely attractive woman, but she just wasn't my type. I didn't care about deals or commercials. I played football. It was the only thing I care about besides my friends and family. 

"Not going to happen, Don. I told you. If you're going to pair me with anyone, make sure she meets my standards." I barked. 

"Ok. Then what about Twyla? She's an upcoming model. I know you messed around with her a few times. I can reach out to her manager and get her to be your date for the ceremony." Don offered. Memories of Twyla laying naked on my bed flashed in my head. I groaned internally. She was sexy. Like worship the ground she was on, sexy. She was shaped like a goddess. Her body was meant to be worshipped. Thinking of her plump breast and wide hips made me hard. My mind ran through every possible scenario of what I would do to her at or after the after-party.

"Deal. Make sure she wears red," I smirk. Don happily agrees before going over a few other business deals I was offered. We got through them quickly before I told him I had to leave for Hayden's fitting appointment. 

Noticing the time, I rushed out of the car and into the store. After warding off a few fans, the lady was able to direct me to Hayden's appointment room. I'm not shocked that he got a V.I.P room. Hayden hated having to wait for service. He would rather pay extra to get quick service than to pay less and spend forever waiting. 

"Finally!" Hayden exclaimed, jumping up from the luxury couch. I took in the room. Chris and KC were sitting next to him. There were also two other guys, Kain, who played for the Tigers, along with Hayden and Julian, Mikah's younger brother. 

"Hey, Theo!" Chris and KC greeted. I hailed them, offering a nod to Kain and Julian. Hayden pats me on the back. He was stressed. He seemed to sleep-deprived. The wedding was a month away. The stress of wedding planning must be getting to him. 

"You ok, Hayden?" I asked softly. He looks like he is about to break any moment. He rubs his forehead for a moment before dropping his hands to his side. 

"I have to find her, O. I know you said we should move on, but Mikah isn't taking this well. She freaks out every night. She cries. She thinks marrying me without Rylee there is betraying her. I don't know what to do." He admits, his voice cracking slightly. His entire world was Mikah and Hailee. I felt his pain. 

Even though I wanted nothing more than to bury Rylee Scott in the past, I couldn't let Hayden suffer like this. If Mikah needed Rylee, there to marry my best friend, I was going to make it happen. He deserved happiness. 

"We will find her, Hayd," I reassured him. He nodded, finding comfort in my words. The lady came in to assist us. Hayden got distracted with trying out suits. I found myself lost in my thoughts. How was I going to find Rylee? She was a woman not looking to be found. And I wondered, why didn't she want to be found?