Chapter 2 - when you felt the pressure

I saw that my life
was a vast glowing empty page
and I could do anything
I wanted.

•••

Camila places a hand on top of her still flat stomach after changing into her own clothes that Shawn brought from their place. They have a whole house together that she's about to see in a few minutes when she comes back with him. Her hand quickly leaves the black material over her stomach when Shawn enters her hospital room. She now not only has a husband she doesn't remember, but she's also expecting his child. The doctor said she's been pregnant the whole time she was in the hospital but they couldn't detect it before because it was too early.

" Ready?" He asks, walking to take the bag over the bed with all of her things.

Camila nods her head and follows him outside, letting him guide her to the parking lot with a hand on her lower back. She doesn't mind the touching, it doesn't feel out of place. What weirds her out is the fact that she finds it so comforting when she doesn't remember anything about this man. About her husband.

He opens the door for her to sit down at the passenger seat of his car, then puts her bag on the back seat before sitting down behind the steering wheel. She puts on her seatbelt, watching him do the same before starting the car and driving away from the hospital. Camila lets herself get lost in the city lights, breathing in and out while trying to make sense of what was happening. Neither of them say anything until she notices the car stopping in front of a cute little house close to the beach.

" This is beautiful." She whispers, opening the door to step outside and take in the sound of the waves and the salty smell in the air.

" Welcome home." Shawn says with a smile, letting her watch the view for a little longer before guiding her to the house.

The front porch has a swing and a lot of flowers, just as colorful as she always imagined her dream house to be. The second she walks through the front door, she smiles at the simple yet cozy colorful decoration of their home.

" You're the one who chose most of the decoration." She hears Shawn's voice from behind her.

" I can tell." She laughs lightly.

He shows her the small guest room she'll be staying at, all of her things already there. They had talked earlier and agreed on her staying in a separate room. She appreciates him being so understanding and not expecting her to act like his wife right away, but she can't help feeling weird for living with a man she had no recollection of. She has no family left though, so she has nowhere else to go. Shawn told her she has a few friends in the city, but she also doesn't remember them. They had yet to talk about her pregnancy and she's glad he hadn't tried to bring up the subject since she was still trying to get used to the idea.

" I think I want to take a shower." She says with uncertainty, knowing there's only one bathroom in the small house from the tour he just gave her.

" I'll get you a towel." He says before leaving her alone.

He shows her how the shower works, and two minutes later she's undressed under the hot water. She lets her muscles relax as she washes her body, letting her hands wander over her stomach for a long time. It sounds insane even in her own mind, but she already loves this tiny human being that will grow inside her. She wished she had any memories related to her now husband. He seemed happy and in shock by the news, but she still wants to talk to him about it.

Camila feels the water running cold before turning off the shower and drying herself with the fluffy towel Shawn gave her, putting on a pair of sweatpants and an old t-shirt she found in her closet. She brushes her wet hair before stepping out of the bathroom, finding him in the kitchen cooking them dinner. They sat at the kitchen table and ate in an awkward silence, then he washed their dishes and told her to go take some rest.

She lays down on the bed in the guest room, quickly falling asleep and waking up only when the sun is already shining through the window. She stretches her arms when she hears a knock on the door, telling him to get in.

" Good morning." Shawn smiles at her, walking to the bed with a tray of breakfast for her. She never felt so spoiled in her life. " Are you hungry?"

Camila sits up and nods her head, smiling when she notices he made her banana pancakes. She takes a bite and insists for him to eat with her, but he just stays there while she eats with a smile on his face. She catches him admiring her, making her cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

" Sorry." He whispers, looking away from her face. " I just can't believe you're actually here."

Camila smiles at him, but doesn't know what to say. She knows it must be hard for him because he still remembers everything about her, while she has no idea how they even met. And on top of that he thought he would lose her for two weeks straight when she wouldn't wake up.

" What do you think about... me being pregnant?" She asks with hesitation. " I mean, are you happy about it? Was this even in our plans?"

" You have no idea how happy I am." He says with a genuine smile. " But I understand if you're not sure about it. We weren't trying, but we weren't not trying either."

" Okay." She whispers, biting her bottom lip while looking at the half eaten pancake in her plate.

" How are you feeling about it? I bet it's a lot to take in."

" I'm fine. I think." She knows her words sound uncertain, but she's still feeling a little overwhelmed.

Camila spends the day exploring the house, finding her art supplies and trying to feel bad for not wanting to paint. There's canvas painted by her hanging by the whole house and Shawn told her she's been pretty activated these last few months. Now only looking at the brushes and paints she feels like she doesn't recognize herself. She always loved painting, but now she just feels pressured by this whole past life she doesn't remember.

She sits down at the living room, listening to her husband strumming his guitar on the side balcony that leads to the beach. She asked him a few things about him and found out he plays and sings for a living, usually in bars and coffee shops. She also learned he's canadian and his parents were here to see her in the hospital when the accident happened, but had to come back because of their jobs.

" Hey, I'm going to pick up Tarzan at Brian's." Shawn says when he walks into the living room where she's watching a random episode of Friends on the TV. " Are you okay being here by yourself for a little bit?"

" Sure." She watches him leave, feeling thankful that he's not pushing her to see her friends just yet. She knows they probably love her and want to see her, but she still needs more time before meeting more people that know everything about her when she remembers nothing about them.

Twenty minutes later, Shawn is back with a golden puppy that is already losing all his puppy features. He's a lot bigger than he looked in the pictures he showed her, but he still acts like a baby. He's excited to see her, licking her face when she approaches him and wiggling his tale like he's never been so happy in his short puppy life. At least with Tarzan it felt easier, he didn't expect her to remember him and she needed that. She fell asleep with him by her side on the couch after dinner, feeling Shawn carefully carrying her to bed.

__________________
__________________

A/N: What do you think so far? Leave me a comment... 😊