Chapter 3 - we shouldn't be together

What a wonderful thought
it is that some of the
best days of our lives
haven't happened yet

•••

Looking at her reflection in the mirror, Camila settles her hand over her stomach, wondering if she already has a small bump. Her hand finds only her still flat stomach though. She knows is way too early, but she still keeps checking everyday to see if she can feel anything. The yellow sundress she chose hugs her body perfectly and it's a good thing she's so early on because they're heading to see their friends. She finally decided she needed to talk to more people besides Shawn and that she was ready to get to know them again, but they still have no idea about her pregnancy.

Shawn has been the most sweet and kind since she came back from the hospital and she was starting to get attached to him, which is a weird thing to say about your own husband. She can tell why she felt attracted to him in the first place. He's not only unfairly handsome, a fact that she's been trying to ignore, but has a personality that quickly captivated her. He never fails to make her laugh and she can see in his eyes how proud he feels when he manages to do that. It's pretty obvious to her that he's trying his best to make her remember him, even though that had yet to happen. He's been nothing but patient though, telling her she shouldn't pressure herself to remember.

" You look beautiful." Shawn's voice makes Camila look up, her eyes meeting him through the mirror as he stands by the door of the guest room.

" Thank you." She blushes, turning around and taking her purse. She knows he saw her feeling her stomach. It's not the first time he catches her doing it and he always has a longing in his eyes, like he wished he could do it too. He never asked her to though, trying to respect her space.

They leave the house with Tarzan, who rides with her in the back seat. Shawn laughs the whole drive to Brian's apartment as the puppy keeps trying to chew on Camila's long hair. When they step out of the car, Shawn puts Tarzan on a leash and Camila brushes some of his golden fur out of her dress. The elevator ride to the fifth floor of the building is filled with barks and excitement from the puppy, that already knows they're on their way to uncle Brian's apartment.

A red haired guy opens the door and he seems genuinely happy to see Camila, asking her if he can hug her. When they reach his living room, two girls are sitting down on the couch with smiles on their faces. After a lot of hugs and a few tears from them, Camila feels a little overwhelmed, but also at home somehow. The blonde girl is a lot taller than her, her name is Taylor and she seems so excited to see Camila. The second friend is called Hailee and she is the one who shared more tears at seeing the tiny brunette.

They try to keep the conversation light because of Camila, giving her information she might need and telling her about things she can't remember. Dinner goes by smoothly and she even laughs when Shawn tells Hailee off for trying to give Tarzan part of her dinner. By the end of the night, she finds herself sitting by the balcony in Brian's apartment with Tarzan next to her, looking down at the city lights as her hand caresses his soft fur. She feels chills down her body when a slightly cold breeze hits her, making goose bumps form on her arms.

" Are you cold?" She hears Shawn's voice coming from behind her, then his footsteps as he approaches her. Camila smiles when he places his denim jacket on her shoulders, sitting next to her right after. " Sorry if this was too much."

" I think it might be good. Maybe I can remember anything if my life goes back to how it used to be. That includes hanging out with friends." She says, taking in the scent in his jacket that seems oddly familiar.

" You don't have to do it if you're not ready." He says, looking at her hands over her lap like he wants so badly to take them in his. She decides to make this easier for him and reaches for his hands herself, interlocking their fingers before looking into his eyes.

" I know. Thank you for being so patient." She keeps her hands in his as they watch the lights outside, Tarzan walking back inside as their friend's muffled voices fills the air. " I just feel like maybe you deserved more than what I'm giving you."

" That's not true." Shawn quickly says, just proving her point about him being patient.

" Maybe it's not, but I feel like I'm taking away from you somehow. Like maybe we should be together for real because we're married."

" We shouldn't be together." He whispers. " I mean, yes, we should, but not like this. I don't want you to feel obligated to be with me. I love you and that won't change, but if you decide you can't be with me anymore I'll have to accept that. I just want you to be happy, memories or no memories."

Camila nods her head and lets a few tears roll down her face, wishing she could remember how it was to be in love with this incredible man sitting next to her. Feeling brave and comfortable around him, she guides one of his hands to her stomach, letting him feel her still non existent baby bump. She can see the joy in his eyes when he smiles, knowing he'd been dying to do that.

" Oh my god." They quickly turn their heads to see Taylor with wide eyes, catching Shawn's hand on Camila's stomach when she was about to ask them if they wanted dessert. " Is this what I..."

" What's wrong?" Hailee asks as both Brian and her walk to the balcony too.

" Are you..." Taylor trails off, not wanting to assume, even though it was pretty obvious by what she saw.

" I'm pregnant." Camila says quietly, watching as their three friends hold their breaths before smiling and congratulating them. The plan was to wait for her to be a few more weeks along before telling anyone, but she couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to why Shawn would be feeling her stomach.

She got so many hugs and words of excitement that when they were back in his car, she fell asleep from exhaustion. Shawn carried her inside with Tarzan following behind them, feeling like maybe he could have his Camila back after all. He knew she was still there and he didn't care if she never got to remember their old memories, as long as he could help her make new ones.

__________________
__________________

A/N: Is it weird to say I'm in love with my own story? 🙈