Chapter 12: The Boy That Chose Her

Beatrice glared down the trail at Subaru. She was wearing a white sleeveless sundress with an embroidered floral pattern that shimmered in the morning sunlight. Her hair was down and tucked under a white wide brim sun hat that had a large cream colored bow wrapped around it. The ensemble was finished off with small white sandals that matched her dress. Subaru's heart jumped as he saw her. Not with pain, but with warmth as she walked down the hill and up to him. He was about to open his mouth to confess his feelings when Beatrice raised her hand and dropped it to send him flying. The helpless Subaru landed near Adella with his face in the river water. As he picked himself up and wiped his eyes, Adella spoke.

Adella: "Oh my, time for me to return to camp and make breakfast."

Beatrice: "That would be best, in fact!"

Beatrice spat the words as Adella rose from sitting and walked past her. Adella paused next to Beatrice to deliver a message before continuing up the mountain.

Adella: "Lady Beatrice, please be gentle with him. I believe you'll want to hear what he has to say."

With that, the head maid took her leave. Subaru finished brushing himself off and turned to face Beatrice.

Beatrice: "You-you jerk! Leaving me behind, I suppose? You should have just told me you d-didn't l-lo-"

Subaru: "I love you, Beako."

Beatrice froze as Subaru spoke. She looked up to meet his gaze and judge his expression. His eyes seemed honest but she was uncertain. Seeing this, Subaru continued speaking.

Subaru: "I'm sorry for leaving. I had to do some soul searching. But, I listened to my heart. I love you, Beako."

Beatrice: "How can you...say it so easily, in fact. Idiot! I was supposed to say it first, in fact..."

Subaru: "I think you made it clear with that kiss..."

Beatrice: "Shut up!"

Subaru: "Sorry, but I can't... there are some things I need to tell you."

Beatrice could tell by his tone that he was serious. She offered no complaints and simply nodded to Subaru.

Subaru: "I still love all of our friends back in the other world. I'm not giving up on them. However, since we have time, I'm fine with staying here with you until we find a way to save them."

Beatrice: "What about...Emilia?"

Subaru: "I still love her, and Rem too."

Beatrice: "Oh..."

Subaru: "But, I'm in love with you, Beako. I'm choosing you. I will always have them in my heart as my dearest friends, but I want to be with you. I need you by my side...not as my spirit...I want you to be Subaru's Betty...as a...woman."

Beatrice: "R-really!? A w-woman! But...why, I suppose?"

Subaru: "Because I love you. I love your soft hair. I love you the way you hold my hand all the time. I love the butterflies in your eyes when I watch them under the night sky. I love how you aren't afraid to send me flying with magic. I love how soft your lips are when we kiss. I lo-"

Beatrice: "Okay! I get it, I suppose! Stop."

Beatrice covered her face with her hands in embarrassment. Subaru could see that she was already as red as a tomato and decided to relent.

Subaru: "Most of all... I love that you were able to see me for me. You wanted to learn more about me and trusted me as your contractor. Even with that motivation, you never looked at me as a mystery or a hero. Actually, you made this entire world just so we could spend time together doing simple things. I had forgotten how... comforting... that could be."