Chapter 13: Breaking Bread and Building Boundaries

Several days had passed since Subaru and Beatrice shared their confessions. The time since then had been relatively peaceful. Niki had started to visit the castle often to talk with Beatrice and bring ingredients to Adella. Subaru and Beatrice had been basking in the novelty of their relationship. In place of the thrill from the camping trip, a slight awkwardness had begun to rise between the new couple. On this particular day Beatrice sat on her bed brushing her hair while Subaru stirred from a short midday nap. He sat up in his bed and smiled goofily at Beatrice while she returned a small blush-filled smile. As Subaru fully woke up, he broke from her gaze and blushed slightly before speaking.

Subaru: "G-good afternoon, Beako."

Beatrice: "G-good afternoon, I suppose."

The small spirit fidgeted as the conversation fell silent. Subaru sat quietly for a few minutes before continuing.

Subaru: "Beako-"

???: "Aha! I caught ya in the act! Smoochin'!"

Before Subaru could finish his thought, the door to the bedroom slammed open startling both of the residents. As they turned to see the intruder, Niki stepped forward with a huge grin on her face. She opened her mouth to continue her teasing when the brush that Beatrice had been holding flew across the room before impacting on Niki's head. As the small cat girl was pushed back from the open door, Beatrice stood up and stomped out of the room in a huff. Subaru rose from the bed to check on Niki, who regained her composure before speaking.

Niki: "What did I do? Wait Bea! I'm sowwy!!"

Niki dashed off yelling after Beatrice leaving Subaru alone. He knelt down to pick up Beatrice's brush when he heard the familiar voice of the head maid from behind him.

Adella: "That was quite a commotion. I take it Miss Niki is here?"

Subaru: "Yeah..."

Adella: "That's definitely not the face of someone who just woke up to the girl he loves. Did you already make her lose interest in you?"

Subaru: "..."

Adella: "I see my teasing must not be as playful as previously thought."

Subaru: "Sorry Adie, you're plenty funny. It's just... how did I talk to Beako before we started dating?"

Adella: "Oh, I see. So the afterglow is finally wearing off?"

Subaru: "What do you mean?"

Adella: "Well, Miss Niki did have a point when she teased you about things changing now that you are dating. You two spent so long tiptoeing around each other and now you don't know how you are supposed to talk anymore."

Subaru: "That's exactly how I feel. I don't know what the rules are and I don't want to upset Beako. The result is that it's hard to have a conversation."

Adella: "Hmm. You need to be more assertive."

Subaru: "Huh?"

Adella: "Lady Beatrice is...slow to act on her emotions. I'm afraid that you have the duty of taking the lead."

Subaru: "Will she really like that? I think it might make her mad."

Adella: "Master Subaru, any momentum is better than being stagnant. You are going to have to learn the right balance for your relationship. Besides..."

Adella leaned towards Subaru's ear and whispered her next statement.

Adella: "There isn't a woman who wouldn't be happy to see the man she loves motivated to make her happy. Fufufu."