Chapter 6: A Village of Boredom

The next few days that passed in the castle were calm and uneventful. Subaru and Beatrice were getting along well after their date. Subaru had been considering where to take Beatrice on another date but he kept coming up with nothing. The two of them sat in the dining room after finishing up breakfast still in their pajamas. This scene wasn't common, yet as Beatrice woke up this morning her stomach had groaned and she demanded that Subaru take her to have breakfast before changing. Beatrice seemed irritable this morning and Subaru feared it was due to his delay in planning their date. Yet, as if she had read his mind, Beatrice slammed her palms into the table and begrudgingly spoke.

Beatrice: "I am bored, I suppose!"

Subaru: "Is that so? Didn't you spend 400 years in a library?"

Beatrice: "That no longer applies to Betty, in fact! I want to do something, I suppose. It does get old sitting in the castle and I would like to go somewhere new."

Subaru: "Well, there really isn't anywhere to go, Beako. I mean, you made this place. Shouldn't you know what places exist here?"

Beatrice: "Hmm... useful..."

Subaru: "Useful?"

Beatrice: "Surprisingly, I suppose."

Beatrice hopped off her seat and ran out of the dining room leaving Subaru behind. After a few moments he looked over at where she sat and voiced his thoughts out loud.

Subaru: "Beako... You need to put some clothes on!"

Subaru rose from the table and chased after the spirit but she was nowhere to be found. He rushed upstairs to see if she had returned to the bedroom and still found nothing. Subaru decided to ask Adella if she had seen Beatrice and approached her room. He knocked lightly on the door and heard the shuffling of footsteps along with the clanking of the door as it opened. Adella poked her head out and smiled after seeing Subaru.

Adella: "Master Subaru, this is so sudden... to approach your head maid's chambers in your night clothes..."

Subaru: "Huuunh!?"

Subaru's mouth dropped open and his right eye twitched as he wrapped his head around the situation Adella placed in front of him. His senses returned to him along with a fresh coat of crimson on his cheeks.

Subaru: "NO WAY! I-I'm just looking for Beako! Erk! I mean s-she ran out of the dining room in her pajamas and she seemed so focused on an idea she had so I was worri-"

Adella: "Is that the case? Well, I don't see why I should report this little affair to Lady Beatrice. That being said, I haven't seen her. Did you consider that she might have left the castle?"

Subaru: "B-but her clothes..."

Adella: "My, my, are you perhaps worried that someone else would see Beatrice in her nightie? We are the only ones here to my knowledge. Perhaps you are being a little too greedy?"

Subaru: "Stop with the insinuations! I'm just worried about her dignity! Have you seen how off the handle she goes? Can you imagine what might happen when she realizes that she ran out in her-"

Adella: "Perhaps you should stop."

Subaru: "Huh?"

???: "Is that how you see Betty, I suppose?"

Subaru saw Adella's eyes shoot behind him as she interrupted him. A small voice erupted from the exact same spot. Subaru slowly turned to face a certain sweets loving girl and met her grimace with his gaze. To his surprise, Beatrice was wearing a light blue sundress with white trim and collar and short white socks with complimenting matte white shoes. Her hair was flat and pulled back with a white headband, showing her ears. It would have been serene, Subaru thought, if not for the murderous intent in her eyes.