Chapter 16: In Hope of a Purr-fect Sleepover

Sunlight sparkled through the windows glistening against the metal utensils as Adella finished setting the table for lunch. Small finger sandwiches were carefully laid across plates with attention to both presentation and flavor. Niki sat at the table with astoundment radiating from her eyes as she waited for her chance to partake in the fare. Her chance came soon enough when Adella took her seat and joined in offering thanks for the food. The scene unfolded much like every other meal that had been shared in the castle dining room with one exception. Beatrice sat in her usual spot but did not eat, instead she fidgeted in her seat while worriedly staring at her hands. After observing her odd behavior for several minutes, Adella finally spoke.

Adella: "Lady Beatrice, are you alright?"

Startled by hearing her own name, the nervous girl looked up from her hands and quickly remarked.

Beatrice: "Y-yes... I'm fine, I suppose."

Adella: "Right... Please do enjoy your meal then."

Not quite convinced, Adella returned to her meal while keeping an eye on Beatrice who had started to gingerly pick at her sandwiches. It hadn't been long since Subaru had taken his leave, but the effect was clearly displayed on the small spirit. Niki watched this exchange as she stuffed her face with shameless gluttony. Upon cleaning her plate, the cat girl weighed in with her assessment of the situation.

Niki: "Ya miss yer boyfriend? Ya need someone to make goo goo eyes at I bet. Don't be gettin' any ideas!"

Beatrice recoiled at the teasing as Niki had unknowingly pinpointed her weakness. Her cheeks began to warm as a twinge of anger flashed in front of her eyes as she retorted.

Beatrice: "Crass as always, I suppose. At least Betty has someone to make 'goo goo' eyes at, in fact! I bet-"

Adella: "That is quite enough, I'm sure Niki didn't mean it like that."

Attempting to mediate the terse situation, Adella interjected before Beatrice could say anything she might regret. Niki's ears twitched as she tried to make sense of what happened. It was common for Beatrice to be annoyed, but genuine anger was rarely aimed at Niki. The cat girl tried to assert her neutrality with an apology.

Niki: "Yeah, Bea... I didn't mean to make ya angry..."

Beatrice: "..."

Adella: "Why don't we adjourn to the master bedroom? I'm sure that trying on costumes will make us all calm down."

With that decision, the group finished their meals in awkward silence. Afterwards, Adella began to clean and exited to the kitchen as Niki turned to Beatrice to speak with her. However, before she could utter a word, the small spirit had stood from her seat and briskly made her way out of the area. Feeling defeated, Niki frowned and spoke her thoughts to the empty room.

Niki: "Bea... somethin' is botherin' ya..."

Once everyone had migrated to the bedroom, Beatrice sat on her bed nervously kicking her feet with a worried frown on her face. Even after having lunch, the warmth still lingered from her hug with Subaru. Yet, her resolve was more than weakened upon returning to the bedroom where she had spent so much time with him. Feelings of loneliness filled her mind as she tried to push thoughts of a certain boy from her head. However, she couldn't help but be reminded of her extended isolation as anxiety set in. Try as she might, the negative inclinations acted as old friends that started to bully the diminutive girl into a corner, leaving only room for panic and worry. As Beatrice sat dwelling in the multitude of emotions rising within her, Adella and Niki were busily working to try out costumes for the play. In the center of the room, Adella had placed a small pedestal and was currently fastening a long dark cape to Niki. The cat girl was adorned in a dark red frilly dress with black trim and stockings. Upon her shoulders sat glossy black pauldrons to which Adella affixed the cape. To finish off the evil ensemble, the cat girl placed a pair of red horns between her ears and ran a hand through her short hair before turning to Beatrice with a beaming smile.