Twenty-Eight

"What's that on your cheek?" Kylo asks.

Confused, you walk over to the mirror above the fireplace taking in your disheveled appearance and the smear of dried blue blood on your face. Your shoulders slump as you let out a loud sigh.

"Oh. The suspect tried to knock himself out by banging his head on the table in the interrogation room. He lost some blood before I could stop him. It was... messy, but we got what we needed."

'We', of course referring to you and Laundsky, the stations newest interrogation A-team. After about three months you'd officially been added to the department's payroll as a consultant. Once, every week or so, you'd receive a call from the sheriff asking you to come in to the station. You'd help him by applying a combination of intimidation, mindreading, and artistic skills, to extract and hand over invaluable evidence.

It was rewarding, albeit mentally exhausting, work. The dark underbelly of society was a regular part of your life now. You fondly remember what it was like when most of this stuff was just a whisper or at the very least an avoidable fact of life.

Kylo had been dragged into a couple of cases as well. His particular skill set made him easily the most skilled person on the planet in suspect apprehension. He'll never admit how much he enjoys helping out but he can't hide it from you either. You know he lives for the adrenaline rush.

You walk into the refresher in the guest suite because it's the closest. You'd been back in the villa for a couple of weeks now having increased security measures to ensure that no more bounty hunters could surprise you at home. The reason behind the move is that you had gone a bit crazy trying to exist with such a large man in your tiny bungalow.

Signing the closing documents after selling it had been bittersweet. The young woman who bought it from you had reminded you of yourself a few years earlier, full of vitality and possibility. Not that you are some dull old woman now but you have changed. You're now someone's partner, a Force user... a killer.

After the water warms, you lather a healthy amount of soap and make sure to wash your face twice removing the foul smelling bodily fluids from your skin. As you rinse, you call out to Kylo.

"Laundsky said you'd receive a com from the council today. Has it come through yet?"

"Yes."

His voice startles you. He's standing just outside the door.

"And?" You ask as you dry your face on a towel.

"And," he pulls you against his body. "I'm officially a citizen of Edoterra."

His deadpan expression makes you crazy. With a huge grin splashed across your face you dance, yip, and holler in celebration before leaping into his arms. He catches you easily, spinning you around and kissing you.

"Thank you," he whispers against your lips.

"For what?"

"For giving me a home, a real and proper home. I've... I've never had this before. I love you."

Emotion had crept into his voice as he spoke.

"And I love you."

You feel as if your heart might burst with happiness. For a long time you stand there wrapped in each other's arms, head resting against his chest.

"Let's celebrate!"

You gaze into the well of his amber eyes, drinking him in.

"Rey will have gotten her citizenship as well. I'll send her a message. And Kaav and Mo! I know Rey needs a break."