Eighteen

Sitting next to Kylo around the small dining table on the ship, you attempt to choke down a bland breakfast against the raging space sickness you've been fighting all night. Soon you'll be arriving on Coruscant.

Rey walks into the room holding her datapad and what looks like passports.

"These will get us onto the planet along with the tourist pass I secured for the ship," she says, handing you each a holographic card with the false encrypted data shining next to photos of your faces.

Your name for the mission is Trin Frass. Kylo looks down at his passport, frowning. Leaning over you see the photo of him sporting short hair and a foreign looking smile.

Rolling her eyes Rey says to him, "Just tuck your hair under your hood and smile when you go through checkpoints and you'll be fine. It's important that we don't leave a trace of our real identities anywhere we go, in case things go... south."

He's still frowning as you suppress a chuckle. The photo of the mighty Kylo Ren looking goofy as fuck, smiles awkwardly up at you from his palm.

"It's not so bad," you say. "At least she gave you a cool name, nice to meet you..." you lean closer to read it aloud, "Sion Kesyk, I'm Trin Frass."

You are trying way too hard to cheer him up but it seems to works. You notice an indulgent smirk form at the corner of his mouth. He reaches under the table placing his hand over your knee and squeezing it. Rey had been busy tapping away on her datapad through your exchange. Looking up at you she studies you each for a moment, thinking.

"Right so, we'll be docking near the Uscru district. It's a touristy area ideal for blending in and hiding out."

She lowers herself onto a stool before continuing.

"I've never been to Coruscant but from what I understand, the resistance alongside willful locals, successfully ejected the remnants of the First Order that hadn't fled after the Battle of Exegol. Or at least drove them deep into hiding. Prior to that, with the fall of the Jedi and the nomadic Galactic Senate, the seedy underbelly of the planet expanded significantly from the lower levels of Galactic City. Renewed attempts at reforming the Senate this year has led to a crackdown on certain illicit activity. Many warnings have been issued concerning travel risks but what this really means is increased patrols and more surveillance. We need to be vigilant at all times."

Tapping away again she says, "Our accommodations will be on level 3417 at the Atawri Casino Hotel."

"What is your alias, Rey?" You ask.

"Fatim Yukar," she answers.

"Thank you for doing all of this," you tell her.

You stare at your unfinished breakfast as you imagine a planet covered in sprawling metropolis. Your heart flutters in excitement, reigniting your dormant wanderlust.

— — —

The momentum of the ship slams you forward in your seat as the ship exits hyperdrive. Shaking off the jolt and lifting your head you're met with your first view of the city-planet through the cockpit windows. It's massive, shimmering with blinking lights and teeming with movement as shuttles and ships weave through needle-like structures towering impossibly tall. Expansive docking stations for larger ships hover in the clouds surrounding the highest reaching towers.

Tales of Coruscant had always struck you as unimaginable, impossible. Seeing it now did nothing to contradict that feeling. Surely the highest levels of the city pierce the very atmosphere. As your gaze wanders, you're vaguely aware of Rey on the coms giving credentials and receiving clearance to enter the planet's air space. She expertly steers the ship closer and closer to what isn't the surface but looks to be partially made up of a giant parking garage for smaller spacecraft. You aren't sure if this planet technically even has a surface.