Fourteen

Kylo shifted uncomfortably in the Silencer's pilot seat, being extra careful not to wake you. You had finally fallen asleep cradled in his arms. Exhaustion poured over him like quicksand as he flew through the veil between stars and ocean, searching for an uninhabited island to shelter for the night. The memory of the evening was playing on repeat in his mind.

Kylo had stood, arm outstretched, feeling his power coursing through him. The ease of using his power this way again was exactly the kind of thing he feared most. It was intoxicating to be so dominating and in control. Holding his position, he had watched your brow knit in concentration as you rooted out the information from the mind of the man hanging rigid in the space between you. Focused and in complete awe, he witnessed you use instinct, and what he took to be intrinsic power, to deftly achieve things he knew very few could, even after being trained for decades.

You completed the task easily. The potent sense of pride he was feeling at your success had caused him to drop the bounty hunter and momentarily lose track of things. Almost immediately, he realized his error, seeing the man reaching for his holster. Dark power surging, feeling a hell of a lot like his old self, he had drawn his saber and was poised to cut the man down.

Before he could drop the blow, he heard a voice yelling out and then a buzzing as your saber swung to meet his. The blow knocked him back and brought him to his senses. He understood that you had been preventing him from killing... from losing control. Again he lost focus long enough to take a glancing blaster shot to the shoulder causing him to grimace and yell out in pain. Quickly he began to parry and block the next shots. He felt his rage rise again in the throes of self-defensive battle mode. Then something happened. Instead of the next blast going off, his opponent was suddenly hurtling through the space.

Hearing the deafening crack of the skull against concrete, he knew immediately that it was fatal. He watched as reality overtook you. Watched as you absorbed the sight of the crumpled body, blood pooling. Watched as you crashed to your knees, dropped the saber, and began to sob. Your small frame racked with physical manifestations of horror and grief.

Without thinking, he had scooped you up, whisking you away from the body. He carried you up to the roof as you clung to him, shaking and sobbing the entire way. Not stopping to think about what to do about the murder, only wanting to distance you from it, he boarded the Silencer and still cradling you in his lap, took off into the night sky.

A couple of hours had passed as he continued to search for a suitable place to land. A small form rose out of the sea on the horizon, it was dark and forested. He flew lower to get a closer look at it. On a ridge, he spotted a structure that had the potential of being a vacant house. After lowering the fighter onto the overgrown landing platform near the structure he switched the engine off and softly caressed your hair to wake you.

— — —

Kylo leads you to the abandoned residence as you fight the urge to scream, fight, or run as reality screeches back into focus.

I am a murderer.

Clinging to Kylo's arm, you watch him hold his hand out to hover over the security system panel, easily unlocking the front door. It swings open dramatically into the large room of the vast home that, based on the thick layer of dust, likely hasn't been inhabited for many years. You cough as your steps stir the dust into the air. Kylo disengages your arm from his and leaves you by the door. You sink down to your knees. Your head is throbbing due to dehydration and stress but you remain aware of Kylo's movements throughout the space. He is probably confirming that you are alone and that your arrival hadn't alerted anyone of an intrusion. Finished with his checks, he returns to you and lifts you off of the floor, carrying you to a bedroom. All of the furniture is draped with cloth. He swipes his hand and the one covering the bed glides down to the floor. He lays you down, placing a pillow under your head and covering you with a moth eaten blanket that he had found in a closet.