Chapter One | An Unexpected Customer

• August 29th, 1993 •

It was a normal Sunday morning. Athena Belladonna, a pureblood witch was just waking up, in her small shop in Hogsmeade. Athena sat up as she yawned and kicked her legs over the edge of the bed as she stood up to get ready. After a warm shower, Athena got dressed and went to her tiny kitchen that was just outside her bedroom, and made herself some toast. After she was all ready and fed, she walked down a short hallway and into her shop. She loved that her living environment and her working environment where in the same place, for it made things much easier for her.

Athena flipped the sign on the front window of the shop so it read, "OPEN" for anyone walking by. And with that, she was off to brewing potions. During her years at hogwarts she was very well known for her amazing potion making. Athena had always enjoyed potions class, and her Professor, Severus Snape was the best teacher she could've asked for. He used to tell her that she would be the next potions master, and with the road she is going down, he is correct. Athena started her own 'small' business in Hogsmeade when she was 19. Her mother, Helena used to own the building, it was an ink and quill shop. She sold all different colors of inks and different types of quills. After she had passed away from a death eater attack, Athena had taken the shop as her own. Seeing that ink and quills weren't exactly her thing, she decided she could turn it into something she could create a career out of, a potions shop. Athena sold ingredients, cauldrons, and of course, potions.

Suddenly, the bell rung as someone entered her shop. It was no other than Lucius Malfoy. He stood tall, with long blonde hair and dark cloaks draped over his shoulders, holding a cane with a snake at the top in his left hand. Athena was caught off guard and without realizing had her mouth open staring at him as he examined a few potion ingredients. Her heart began to race, thoughts flooding her mind about his accusations of being a death eater. He's one of them, she thought. She quickly looked away when his eyes fell on her.

"Miss Belladonna, we meet at last." he said, walking up to her. Athena turned away from the shelf she was supplying with ingredients and faced him, heart racing.

"H-Hello Mr. Malfoy..." she spoke, unsure what to say. Lucius held a gloved hand out and Athena did the same, and they shook hands. Am I shaking the hand of one of the people who might've murdered my mother and brother? Her arm soon returned to her side.

"What a lovely place you have here, Ms. Belladonna" he said looking around at the small yet cozy shop.

Athena smiled slightly, "Thank you Mr. Malfoy. Is there anything in specific you need today?" she asked.

"Well, yes there is actually. I'm in need of Valerian Springs and Flobberworm Mucus." he stated, his gaze still on Athena.

"Oh erm, I just ran out of Valerian Springs yesterday afternoon sir, i'm very sorry. I'll have more in stock tomorrow if you'd like to stop by for them." she offered, mind still racing.

"I think I will, thank you." he said with his lip curling. Athena didn't know how to react.

Why is he smiling? I still don't know if he's one of the people responsible for my mother and Damiens murder.

Lucius looked at Athena and frowned a little. "Why would you think that Ms. Belladonna?" he asked staring into her eyes.

Athena had a lump in her throat, she didn't know what to say. "I-I..How did you-" then she was cut off by Lucius.

"I'm a Legilimens, Athena. And to answer your questions, no I am most certainly not responsible for such horrible things." he stated with his gaze still on her.

Athena looked away. Lucius had known from her body language that she was nervous, and she had every right to be. Lucius could've been lying for all she knows, she's only just met the man. "Athena," he started taking a step closer and looking down at here with sincerity in his eyes, "I am so sorry for what happened to your family. I couldn't imagine it." he said. Athena looked back up at him with tears in her eyes.

"T-Thank you Mr. Malfoy," she sniffled, wiping tears away, "it means a lot."

Lucius smiled gently and his eyes trailed up and down her body. "No need to thank me, Ms. Belladonna." he stated.

Athena looked down and smiled a little, then turning to supply more shelves she asked, "Erm, so you have a son right? Draco Malfoy?"

Lucius nodded. "Yes I do, he is at the Manor right now actually, with his mother." he said. Athena glanced at him with a small smile, while supplying the last shelf with its ingredients.

Despite his accused dark past, she found something very charming in his presence, she thought that he was quite a handsome man. His grey eyes made contact with hers and his lip curled slightly, Athena felt a blush creeping up on her and she looked away. You idiot why are you blushing! She scolded herself. Lucius smirked and they made eye contact once again. Why is he smiling like that? Shit. Athena had forgotten that Lucius was a legilimens. She turned red and suddenly heard the bell ring to her shop. She looked behind Lucius to see who it was, and it was no other than Severus Snape. Lucius turned around and the two men exchanged a look with one another.

"Hello Professor." Athena said smiling.

"Good morning Athena, I'm in need of a few rare ingredients." he spoke.

Athena nodded and looked at Lucius. "I erm..have to help him now. If you don't need anything else than i'll see you tomorrow Mr. Malfoy." Lucius nodded.

"Very well Ms. Belladonna." and with that, Lucius was leaving her shop.

"Interesting seeing you speaking to that man." Snape said raising an eyebrow at her. Athena looked nervous.

"He just came in to get supplies that's all, unfortunately I was out of what he needed. But erm..I.." she looked down.

"Is everything alright Athena?" Snape asked.

"Well yes everything is fine it's just, well..I don't know if he's one of the people responsible for the death of my mother and Damien." she said looking down. "He read my thoughts and stated that he'd never do such terrible things."

Snape looked at her and in his low monotone voice said, "Lucius Malfoy is a mysterious man. I've known him since my first year at Hogwarts, he was in his sixth year by then. Lucius has always been a friend of mine and is truly a good man Athena, despite all of his accusations of being a death eater. I highly doubt that he would've done such terrible things."

Athena looked at him. "Well..I don't know him as well as you do...You don't think he had anything to do with the attack?" she asked. Snape shook his head.

"No, I don't."

A wave of relief fell over Athena, she would've hated herself if she had been so easily lied to and spoke with one of the men who had torn her family apart.

———————————————————————————

hi guys :) to anyone reading this i would like to thank you for your support and i hope you enjoy this story. i love lucius malfoy tehe <3