✨Chapter Twenty one- The Unknown Number

Mr Hugh's POV

   When someone's hiding something from you, it's either a surprise party in your honour or a secret. More often than usual, it's a secret.

  Today was Monday, the 27th of January 2020. Nigeria joins countries in lockdown. Emily was to return this day but for the Coronavirus outbreak.

As much as I tried to shake off the ominous feeling that something wasn't right, it just grew stronger. I kept my cool whenever James was present. He kept whining about how he missed Iris. Their multiple calls, face time, chats and online lessons via zoom seemed insufficient for him. It had been just a week and a day since the lockdown began but he kept lamenting.

Betty moved in with us. She said she couldn't be separated from me. That was a nice move, I enjoyed her company a lot. I didn't know how to just stay home. This was certainly going to be taxing.

My mom barely took my calls these days. Her line appeared always busy or switched off. I decided to phone her today while I struggled to keep my mind calm. The call eventually went through.

"Mama, how are you? I hope everything is alright there?"
An initial silence occurred on her end.

"Ma, are you still there?"

"Oh, sorry my son I have a slight headache. We're all fine here. Greet my favourite grandson for me."

"Sure ma but I want to talk to Emily can you pass the phone and-"
*beep beep* She ended the call.

Mama never hung up on me. I decided maybe she just needed to rest. I'll call another day.

Betty managed all the cooking and chores in the house. She barely let me do anything. James enjoyed this a lot while I struggled to cope with this new schedule. I had less work online but it was better than nothing.

After two days, I called home again. Surprisingly, Chioma answered. She kept talking so fast but three words stuck and resounded to me amidst her rambling, EMILY IS MISSING.

"Quit yapping! All these... You are telling me... What am I saying... So my daughter has been missing for over a week now!!"
I was practically yelling now.
She began sobbing and stammering on the other end of the phone.

"No, no, no. I don't need your cry, in fact just give the phone to my mother I need to speak to her now. This better be a prank. It is right?"
I began a burst of hysterical laughter.
"Yeah, you almost had me there."

"Sir, I can't reach mama at the moment. She didn't come home yesterday. She has been searching, calling, and doing everything she can to find Emily. Please forgive me"
The sobs got louder now.

I took deep breaths and ended the call. This situation occurred because of me. I should have kept her here.
Betty walked in and began her snuggling sessions.

"Stop I am not in the mood for this. My daughter is missing." She had no expression.

"Since when?"

"Over a week. I just found out."

"You'll figure something out, just relax." She gave me a quick hug and went upstairs.

I decided it was best not to inform James. I called some cops I knew who resided in Nigeria. My mom had called them too. They told me to calm down, they were doing their best despite the lockdown measures. Where are you Emily?

~~~~~
Another two days passed. It was Friday now. Emily has been missing for about two weeks now. The cops still had no clues to her whereabouts. All they told me as a sort of consolation was that it couldn't be a kidnap case; they would have called to ask for ransom by now. This served as my relief indeed.