✨Chapter Nine-If Only

Adam's POV

Emily was smiling. Suddenly she looked really serious. "There was a girl behind you Bro."

"Really Emily?" I feigned ignorance.

"Come on Bro, she was running after you. Do you know her?" She was staring intensely at me now like the answers were on my face.

"Nope, she just mistook me for someone else", I shrugged.

I was glad she didn't insist on it.

"Welcome to Nigeria little Sis-- I'm sure you will enjoy your stay here."

"Okay. Whatever Bro."

I quickly took her bags and carried them to where I parked my car. We drove to my apartment in my red Toyota Camry.

  It was a two-bedroom apartment with a veranda. I also had a small library. I lived on the top floor. It gave me a great view of the ocean, the Third Mainland Bridge.

  Immediately after we arrived at my house, she looked at me quizzically, "Adam, why do you live here? She's beautiful okay but you can afford much better."

"Little Sis, I love this view and it's good enough for me. I don't want anything flashy. A simple life is a peaceful life. Okay?"

"Sure, whatever you say Adam." I couldn't tell if there was a bit of sarcasm in her comment.

  "I prefer you call me Bro. It sounds better just like earlier and accords me some respect young lady."
I maintained a stern look and placed my hands on my waist so I would look serious.

  "Fine, Bro." She paused and she looked at me clearly, "It feels odd. I can't believe I'm seeing you in person again after seven years. I wish you didn't leave us. You know our house in New York City is really big—We don't live in the ghetto side. Our interior is wonderful and I'm sure you would have loved it."

  She kept bragging about their house in New York. I frowned at this. I didn't want anything to do with my dad and my step-mom.

  It still amazes me how Emily and I share such a close bond, especially as we are step-siblings. The circumstances which led to all these were odd.

  Anytime I think about it, I feel like I'm trapped in a box. Everywhere is dark. Then I'm cast away and left with little oxygen awaiting my end.

  This kind girl crept into my heart with such a simple gesture. She wiped my face with her towel at a time I was broken and vulnerable. I always thought a bad tree would always bear bad fruits, but Emily was an exception.

  "Hey, Bro, I'm really hungry. You've been staring so intensely at the ceiling. You alright?", she inquired.

"I'm fine. What do you want to eat? Wait let me guess. Would you like some pasta?"

"Nope. Seriously Bro I hate pasta. Have you forgotten so soon? We have talked about my likes and dislikes and I told you my favourite food." She narrowed her lips to a pout and let out a deep sigh.

"I'm not going to tell you anything. Come on, think. You have twenty seconds to remember. Start." Her pout changed rapidly into a huge grin and she began to drum on my mini-sized black table.

"Come on bro, I'm counting", she squealed in excitement.

"Seriously, are we doing this? You are such a child and-"

"That's why you love me Bro", she quickly added, then she gave me her cutest smile.

"Ten more seconds", she immediately yelled.

"Hey that's cheating, I thought we were having a moment."

"Eight seconds left", she blurted out. She was enjoying this.