✨Chapter Ten-New to me

Emily's POV

 There was a little traffic jam along the way. It lasted for about twenty minutes then, our drive home was free, fast and uninterrupted.

 I was scared as it was dark but grandma's chauffeur drove quite well to my uttermost surprise.

He turned on the radio while I munched some cookies as he drove. I was really hungry.

We reached grandma's house by around 10 pm. A young lady who looked like she was in her early twenties opened the gate and he drove in.

A part of me just wanted to remain in the car but her chauffeur opened the door for me and I knew I had to come out.

The young lady took my luggage in while I followed behind slowly into the house. Grandma's house wasn't so bad after all. It was a white and maroon duplex. The fence was red and artificial flowers adorned the entrance. I couldn't see some parts of the house clearly but I knew three months was enough time for me to explore it. I loved the interior. The wall was cream and another part was sea blue. It was just beautiful.

  "Take a seat, I'll call mama and let her know you are here." The lady hurried upstairs.

She seemed nice but I couldn't be too sure. The couch was quite comfortable. It was a light brown. The air conditioner blew cool air on my skin causing me to shiver slightly. I quickly put on my black jacket.

My dad must be worried. I had forgotten to call him as soon as the plane landed. I phoned him and he quickly picked up. He must have been awaiting my call.

"Emily, James and I were really worried—we kept waiting for your call. I even started calling grandma."

"I'm so sorry dad, it totally skipped my mind. You are supposed to be sleeping dad. I didn't expect you to pick up my call. I just wanted to let you know I'm in grandma's house now. Don't forget to keep a watch on James. I haven't told you this but he watches movies at night while you are asleep. Dad I-"

"Emily we'll be fine just text me from time to time okay"

"Alright dad, goodnight." I ended the call and quickly put my phone in my pocket.

  Some light footsteps were approaching me. I looked up to see my grandma. She hadn't changed much from the last time I saw her. She was ageing gracefully. I guess when your child is taking very good care of you that's normal. She was 5 feet 6 inches tall—my exact height. Unlike many people her age; she was very fit. You'll never believe that she is sixty-four years old.

My grandma got married when she was 18 and had my dad a year later. I didn't understand why she married so early and how she only had my dad.

I knew asking her would only make her spend hours narrating her entire youthful days and by the time she was finally answering what I was interested in, I would be sleeping or distracted.

She wore a long flowing loose orange gown. It gave her a youthful look and she appeared taller. She was dark-skinned and she had a pointed nose. Her eyes reminded me of my dad's eyes. They were small and dark brown. She wore a black turban so I didn't know if she still went on with shaving her hair. She had once said she wanted to be on low cut. I told her not to go on with it but I don't know if she listened to me.

"Emily, welcome home my dear", she drawled.

She quickly hugged me and I was immediately engulfed in her signature perfume. I always forget the name but the scent can never be forgotten. I almost choked then she let me go.

"Sit down dear, make yourself at home. It's late, go ahead and freshen up then you could come down and eat dinner. I prepared something special for you."