✨Chapter four-The Bomb

James POV

Emily came to my class and told me we were going home now. A mischievous me would have loved to poke her sides and run so she would chase me and retaliate.

I didn't care we were in school and a part of me longed to do this.

She rarely played with me so I valued little opportunities like this, but her intense glare, caught me off guard and I stuttered. Her look screamed 'Serial killer, Beware.'

It finally dawned on me, that something wasn't right. I didn't care I was leaving school before closing hour. My mind was doing cartwheels. Finally, I could rush home and continue playing my video games like FIFA 16, Call Of Duty, Black Cops 4, Spiderman and so on.

She kept walking fast almost like there was a ticking bomb in our school and I had to run occasionally to keep up with her pace. Is she in trouble, did she do something?

I couldn't take it anymore and I whined while pulling her left hand,
"Slow down Sis" but she immediately brushed my hand off and retorted loudly bringing the spotlight on us.

"Don't touch me, if you can't keep up, your problem."

I was in total shock at this outburst from her then I noticed five fingers on her right cheek.

Was she in a fight with someone? She lost the fight but I would have known about it if there was any fight. That's probably not it. I knew it was better if I didn't speak to her.

We reached the school gate and I saw my dad.

"Dad, what are you doing here", I exclaimed with excitement.

My dad usually never took us home, this was strange. He just smiled at me, no fist bumps, that was our thing. I ignored this and got into the car.

The drive home was very quiet. It felt like I was in a wake. The mood was sombre and solemn. I occasionally tried to start a conversation but I got cold shoulders from both Dad and Emily.

I eventually gave up and put on my headphones and listened to some beats by Drake and I unconsciously started singing along, "yeah trapped in my feelings..."

I didn't even notice when we reached home until the door was slammed by Emily. Drama queen. Surprisingly dad didn't react.

I quickly got off the car and went to my room. I was on the verge of completing a mission in Spiderman which I had been stuck on for a week now when I heard the sound of shattered glass. What the heck was that. Should I check it out? I guess my game has to wait.

I followed the sound of yelling to the living room but I hid by the door carefully, so I wouldn't be seen. Dad and Emily were at it. They were fighting.

They were both arguing and yelling loudly. I thought they had stopped. It's been a while since they were like this. I should have known.

Emily is destructive whenever she's mad. She must have been the one who broke mom's glass vase sculpture. I listened further. From the tone of my dad's voice, he was fuming but I knew he was holding it back.

"You dare yell at me", dad screamed while squinting his eyes.

"But dad you slapped me in front of everyone, you've ruined my reputation, do you know someone could have filmed it and now it could be trending", Emily said while unconsciously swinging her hands front and back and stamping her foot.

She always did this when she was enraged. It was usually amusing to me whenever she did this with me but I was upset about it this time.

Then dad dropped a bomb that made me gasp loudly and they discovered I was there all along.

"You know what young lady, for denying your origins and questioning my actions,  you are leaving that school where they teach you to talk back at me, and you will spend three months in Lagos with my mom", dad retorted.

Emily didn't get a chance to reply with a fitting come back and they all turned towards where I was hiding now in full view by all. I couldn't say anything. I just stared at both of them with pain in my eyes.

I didn't know I was this emotional. When my mom disappeared, I didn't shed a tear or react as much as Emily though I was just eight. I built a fake armour and always pretended to be strong and cool.

At school, I didn't need to do much. My grades were average. My grade was high enough for my dad so, he didn't fret much over mine as I was so popular. Maybe it was because of my good looks. I was truly handsome. All the girls gave me attention, well except one.

The guys weren't a problem either. They treated me like I was some king. I was like a chick magnet so they respected me. We played Spiderman, FIFA and other games, they respected me.

I knew deep down they were just friends with benefits. The girls just wanted to brag about being the girlfriend of a hot guy while the guys hoped that by hanging out with me some of the pretty girls would finally notice them. Typical middle school nonsense.

Today I couldn't suppress the pain anymore. The memories all flooded my mind simultaneously. Mom and dad's multiple fights Emily's disregard for me, dad's busy schedules, he was always after one contract or the other and we didn't play or watch football together anymore. My family was shattered just like mom's vase sculpture.

I just ran off.

They kept shouting my name but I ignored them. They tried to run after me but I ran faster. I needed some space, time to bring myself together. This was just too much.

My world was crumbling and everything around me was fake. I just wanted sincere care from someone, anyone and not the fake pecks of being popular.

While I was running, Smith was constantly dialling my number. I can't decipher if he was a real friend but I believed he was just like the rest.

I was so irritated as I kept seeing the caller ID of one of my numerous fake friends that I threw my phone.

I started feeling weak after running for about thirty minutes. I was going to Minneapolis park and the recreation centre. It was my comfort zone. The place wasn't kinda far from our house and it made me feel happy. I always felt safe and free from all worries and trouble just by breathing in the fresh air

I knew I was very close to the park but my body couldn't take it. I had skipped lunch and all I had eaten all day was just frosties and milk. Unfortunately, I wasn't with any cash as I came out in a haste.

Everything became blurred.

Light faded, and darkness took over.

The sky frowned, the air was suffocating.

I quit, I broke down.

Despair settled in but before I gave up, a ray of hope appeared.

A smudged appearance, the lingering scent of roses.

I couldn't see who it was but, I felt tender hands.

Then my eyelids were closed.

................................................................

Hey guys, I thought it will be nice if we see from James' view.

Can anyone relate to James??

PLEASE don't give up

Drop your comments and leave a vote. Thank you😘😘.