✨Chapter Fourteen-Diamond Necklace

Emily's POV

All my effort to stop thinking about the guy from last week was futile. Grandma from time to time would constantly bring him up but I would nod and tell her the same thing.

I couldn't help recalling his words to me, "Are you done checking me out, you're not so bad yourself."

His breath was so hot and I was just in shock. I couldn't tell grandma this; I was already in a lot of trouble with her so I quickly made up what I told her.

In the end, I went home that day with bizarre-looking clothes that if I had my way,  I would never put on and I didn't get my hair done.

That guy hurt my feelings. I know grandma and I have a rough relationship but he didn't have to rub it in. I couldn't tell if his apology was sincere or not but I'd prefer not to meet him again.

Just a week more and I'll be out of here. That was the only thing that comforted me.

Dad rarely talked to me these days. I felt something was wrong but I'm sure Miss Betty is behind this. I couldn't take it anymore. I noticed even James didn't call often anymore.

Before I could go down and hand my gadgets to Grandma, James called. I was so excited but I refused to answer his call. I can't let him know that I missed him.

After he had called three consecutive times, I then took the call.

"Sis, are you busy; I've been calling your number"

"Oh really, so you've finally remembered that you have a sister, I'll deal with you when I come back."

"I'm sorry, it's just that———I have a girlfriend" he whispered the girlfriend part.

"What, when, who, how, come on I want all the details"

"OK, Sis chill. You know Iris Floyd?"

"Yeah, wait, oh my gosh, you guys are dating?"

"Well sorta but we are not official yet"

"Woah, I'm so happy for you. Tell me more"

"Okay. So after the incident, I'd wave at her and she'd wave back. Then I don't know how I did it but I asked her on a date to the park where we met and she agreed. We had lots of fun together and weirdly dad was cool with me hanging out with her. Then, at the end of our second date, I kissed her."

"You did what, James, interesting."
I knew he was blushing right now.

"Then we had many more dates and here we are now"

"I'm so happy for you bro."

"Thanks. She gained Dad's approval a hundred per cent when he found out that it's because of her my grades are improving. I now have B's and only one or two C's. She coaches me in her house and her aunt is cool with it, she even takes me home."

"I'm not surprised at this, she likes Dad and so she's pretending to be all nice to gain his approval."

"I know, Iris opened up to me about how her aunt maltreats her. She doesn't care about her and Iris is an orphan. She prevents her from attending parties or having friends. All she does is use Iris' trust fund to get clothes, get drunk and sober up while breaking things and complaining about how she's still a spinster at 40." He paused for a while and continued.

"It's because of her aunt that she was a loner but not anymore; she can't hang around with me and not be in the spotlight."

"You cocky brat, now you feel like a star right?"

"Of course, I'm a superstar"

"In your dreams, I'm going to puke now because of your self-love. So anything more going on?"