✨Chapter Six-Cupcake or NOT

Mr Hugh's POV
I couldn't take it anymore. I have to call the cops but a part of me kept telling me it would lead to something else.

After much inner debate, I decided to check on Emily. It has been twenty minutes now and the whole house was as silent as a graveyard. Fear settled in.

Could they have taken her too?
Quickly I dashed downstairs inspecting every corner of the house.
Okay except for the fragments of glass on the floor everything was in order.

I was about to call the cops when a piece of paper on the dining table caught my eyes. A cup was placed on it. That was odd. It wasn't there before.

For a man, many people find it peculiar that I'm a perfectionist. I don't accept it but I might be. I also have a photographic memory.

You dare not enter my office or sneak into my room without my permission. I will know. Even if you slightly move as much as a pen on my desk or slightly open my wardrobe, I'll notice it.

I looked at the paper with perusal.
Dad, I'm so sorry for everything. I'm going to make this right. ❤Emily.

What exactly was she thinking? One of my children missing isn't enough and the other one chose this as the best time to be responsible for her action. There's a high possibility someone is stalking us and she went out all alone.

Different thoughts kept crossing my mind. I decided to step out to get some fresh air so I can think carefully of my next action when I was stopped midway by Betty Smittens.
I couldn't describe what we had going on. She's a very charming lady. Average height, fair, pointed nose and small mouth.
I'm not so good at describing people.

Six years ago, she was the friendly lady who gave me a job at Lolly smittens. She always gave me bonuses and took me on treats. She would say in a high-pitched voice "Remuneration makes employees jolly and sweet."

I lost contact with her after my wife disappeared. Also, I got a new job. Severally, I checked the shop but it was always closed. A caring shop owner opposite her shop approached me on one of my visits to the sweet shop. He told me that the shop was seized by the bank because she couldn't repay her debt.

I didn't even know she was in debt. I tried to locate her but after exhausting all my resources, I gave up as I got no results.

In fact, I knew little about her. She was divorced with no child and she had no relatives. She always brushed the topic aside whenever I tried to talk about her personal life.

A year earlier, I bumped into her while going to meet a client and I had cancelled the meeting. We had to catch up.

She told me that she had gone to Canada to stay with a friend who was helping her to get back on her feet. They fought and she came back to Minnesota. She felt luck was on her side because she found me. I also told her about Elfreda's disappearance. I could have sworn I saw a glimpse of excitement and happiness flash through her eyes before she started crying and hugging me.

Indeed she had helped me a lot in the past so I decided to help her get a job. She told me that she dropped out of college so I decided to let her take care of my house. I paid her a good sum of money and we were both happy. She got to get back on her feet and I got to focus on my work.

Slowly things between us heated up and grew more intense. Some days, she stayed over at my house. James seemed to be cool with it but Emily always gave her suspicious looks and weird vibes. They didn't interact much and I could tell Emily didn't like her.

Occasionally, Betty would hide in my room and try to seduce me. I wasn't married anymore but I couldn't give in. She would place soft kisses on my neck and caress my Adam's apple. She would also place soft kisses on my neck and ears and try to wrap her legs on my hip but I always stopped her. I wasn't ready yet.

She was nice and very supportive but a part of me still felt something was odd about her. I eventually agreed for us to be in a relationship but I didn't want to tell my children. They weren't ready for this yet.

On one of those days she slept over, I was quite drunk. I saw her in my room posing on my bed. She wore a thin material, a short gown which was transparent. It was red and the hand was sleeveless. As soon as she started to show some skin, I went for her.

We kissed each other deeply and before I knew it we were on the bed. She was about to take off my shirt but I rolled off the bed. I still had some control.

It all felt so casual. I couldn't feel that kind of love that makes you want to commit yourself to that special someone. That was what I had with Elfreda. It wasn't just for satisfying pleasure, it had a deeper meaning. I only saw her as a friend.

She didn't take much offence and she just slept by my side. Weird right. I was still thinking about our relationship when she brought me back with her high-pitched voice.

"Leaving so soon, aren't the kids in and how are you back so early today"?

I hated it when people referred to children as kids I mean we are not goats and she knew this.

"This isn't the time Betty, I need to go somewhere."

"What's the problem cupcake, come on", she paused and led me back in, "I'm here now talk to me."

I quickly rambled some scattered words "James ran off, Emily I don't know..."

Then she held me and said "come on cupcake slowly. After I explained the whole situation to her, she gave me a weird solution.

"You just have to chill cupcake, everything is going to be fine. You'll stay right here with me and relax, don't you trust your children, they'll be fine."

"WHAT, you can't be serious Betty, I-"

She cut me midway and snapped at me "Seriously cupcake I told you to call me something more romantic whenever the children aren't around. It seems like I'm some kind of project to you, are you this afraid to commit to me. We are hiding our relationship from your children and you are being like this to me. Are you my cupcake or not?"

"From what you told me, if you call the cops now, this could become a state matter. A reckless father, I mean you slapped Emily in front of everyone and you don't know James' whereabouts. They will feel you are irresponsible and charge you for abuse and so on. Your children will be under child welfare. Is that what you want Jacob?"

I was dumbfounded by her words. They were aggressive but she had a point. I slowly succumbed and we both sat together. She hugged me and placed a small kiss on my lips.

I was numb to her kiss. All I thought about now was my children. I could only wait and hope they will be alright. They are all that matter to me now. I would never forgive myself if I lose them. I have to be calm.
................................................

So this is the end of another chapter. I hope you are enjoying the story so far.

Our Mr Hugh is really in a mess with Betty. Do you think they'll work out?
My rankings are really good currently.
I'm so happy.

Don't forget to comment, let me know what you think, share and vote. Thank you everyone😊😊❤.