Chapter ❸

Chapter Three [EDITED]

Sparkles & What?

Yusuf

I take off my apron and start massaging my hand and crack my neck as I approach my table. "Yusuf," a voice calls abruptly from behind making me jump startled as I turn around and find an amused Mariam chuckling and eventually starts laughing at me unable to hold her laughter.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask leaning on the desk staying as cool as possible looking at her with a composed body.

"I'm sorry," She says in between her laughter. "I didn't expect you to get startled," she clears her throat and stands straight, "It's six thirty. I'm going to leave first if you don't mind," she finishes off giving a closed smile holding her laughter in.

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead. And I heard that you won't be coming tomorrow. Is everything okay?"

"Oh yes, that's right. I'll be assisting my father to the hospital. And I can't help with tomorrow's work, but I will stop in the afternoon if you're in short of staff," she offers but I shake my head and advise her to stay with her father from tomorrow until everything is fine.

She waves off goodbye after agreeing and leaves the room.

I begin to clean my desk after reviewing tomorrow's project when I hear a knock and see Josh approaching me with the leftover files. "All done, and make sure to credit me for the designs. You know I worked hard towards it. See you tomorrow." I nod my head waving goodbye as he leaves. Stephenie, my other employee shows up when she finds Josh and waves goodbye when she sees Josh exiting.

"Drive safely!" I say after them.

I put the remaining files to the side for tomorrow to review, as I yawn and look at my watch, eight p.m. I clean my desk after checking my emails and finish for the day as I also become hungry.

As soon as I reach home, a radiant Bahirah rushes to me and gives her salam. "How was work?" She asks and smiles widely not acting her usual self.

"Walaikum-Assalam. What is this? Did you pass your exams or did the moon find a spouse? Somebody is in a good mood today?" I say raising an eyebrow. I walk towards the kitchen following the delicious smell of food and Bahirah trails after me.

"Not the moon, but somebody else did," She replies.

"Assalam ammi," I say approaching my mum and find her making salad. I hug her from behind and kiss her cheek.

"Walaikum-salam my shehzada (prince). How was work?" She asks and I reply casually with a, "Not bad. Alhamdulilallah!"

"Mum? Do you want me to cut the tomatoes in big pieces or small?" Bahirah asks mum and I look at her amazed.

"Small is fine honey." My mum replies.

"Someone really is in a happy mood today," I say loudly and swallow done some tomatoes, "Who found a spouse if not the moon?" I ask taking another tomato and lean against the counter.

"You will find out?" She says raising her eyebrow.

"Ammi, did someone come for her hand in marriage?" I exclaim looking at my mother holding my laugh.

"Kiya (What)? I'm talking about you, not me!"

I chuckle at her and say, "Just kidding kiddo, cut the tomatoes quickly. You need to at least be able to make a salad if you want to get married." I remark in a serious voice making her eyebrows cross, "Ammi!" Mother smiles, shaking her head and commanding me to stop teasing Bahirah.

"Alright Alright! I'm off," I exclaim after receiving Bahirah's death stare.

"Come down quickly after freshening. Dinner's going to be ready soon." My mum orders as I exit the kitchen and nod my head in the process.

~

"Mmm..chicken biryani" I verbalise sitting down.

"Here," Bahirah turns the serving table with a big smile.

"Shukriya (Thank you)," I say not getting used to Bahirah's kindness.

"Did you see Bryson in the shop today?" She whispers once my mum heads over to the sink to grab cutlery.

Not again.

"Maybe?"

She frowns and speaks again "I know he came."
"So why do you ask?" I reply knowing her straightforward personality can get alittle bit too much sometimes.

The front door opens and Bahirah rushes out the dinning room.

"Salam dad!" She squeals loudly.
"Walikum-assalam. What's up?" He asks and enters the kitchen with Bahirah hugging him side ways.

"Chicken Biryani is up! Come and store these goods in your pouch!" She replies.

I chuckle lightly and stand up to hug my dad. "Salam dad!"

"Walikum-assalam son," he responds and hits my back lightly like he always does when we hug.

"Come on, the food is getting cold!" My mum exclaims and we all laugh lightly and take our seats.

Once we all were settled down and eating quietly, my dad breaks the silent.
"So! Yusuf, son I know you are successfully running the coffee shop very nicely. I was thinking maybe if you could visit my business and...you know..explore the place here and there and learn the structures of the business's background." I put down my spoon and he notices. He stops for a bit and looks at me pleasingly.

"I'm hoping that your grandfathers work will expand globally and be continued, Inshallah." He adds and wonders in his own world.

I sigh and look at him blankly. "Father we've had this talk before. I have a coffee shop to look after and I already know the structures of your business. I already explained to you and agreed to your condition so why are we going back to it again?" His expression turns soft and smiles warmly before saying "hmm..your right. You are handling the coffee shop quite smoothly." And resumes eating.

I release a sigh and hold his warm hands. "I'm sorry father. I'm trying my best. I'm sure grandfather wouldn't want his grandson to do something that he doesn't want. Please try to understand me.

I know I sound selfish but I would rather do what I love instead of living a life that I do not take an interest. Alhamdulillah, you're doing fine and you love your job, so let me do what I love." I finish and wait for his response.

He puts his hand together and utters, "Your right! your old enough to decide your future, " he smiles as my mum inhales lightly and beams in ease while my sister smiles wholeheartedly for the whole time. My smile drops when my father mentions something that I'm not quite good at registering it clearly into my brain, "and as my son has mashallah grown into a fine young man, it's time to introduce a daughter-in-law soon," he says and my mum smirks making me shook.

A warm heat radiates up to my face and I immediately grab the cold glass of water and gulp it down quickly. I blink numerous of time and clear my throat before speaking. "My.." clears throat again, "business isn't bad, and looking at the situation I sup..suppose I am ready to-"

"Awww!! My Yusuf is agreeing to marry at last!" My mum proclaims and claps her hand happily. Bahirah stays there frozen with wide eyes before saying, "You mean your going to marry her?"

"Marry who?" I question confused. 

_______________••________________