Chapter ❼

[EDITED]

Memory & Seesaw

Chapter Seven

~Outside Coffee shop~

|| Sarah's POV

I check that I have my mum's medicine with water and a glass of warm milk. Exiting from the kitchen and find Yahya rushing down the stairs. "Yahya where are you going?" I urge gaining his attention.
"Oh just outside with some friend," he answers nervously making me narrow my eyebrows at him.

"Is everything okay? Why are you in a hurry?" I ask him again while he ties his shoes.

He stands up swiftly and holds my shoulder. "Everything is fine. Nothing to worry about alright!" He quickly gives a thumbs up and goes out the door like a bird freed from its cage.

I stand there flustered. This is the first time ever leaving the house in this manner, after this one time he ran out of the house when he was in his final years of high school. Could it be that it's for the same reason? For the same person?

Okay, alright Sarah, calm your hijab down. He said nothing to worry about. Let out a deep breath and resume walking up the stairs.
I silently open my mum's bedroom door and discover her back towards me. I step inside and soundlessly place her medicine and glass on the bedside drawer. "Mum," I call her. She quickly runs her hands over her eyes and displays a photo frame back on its place.

"Sarah dear, you bought my medicine?" She asks when she notices my presence and replaces a smile beside her sorrow.
"Yep!" I say and smile away at her and find her nose red. She smiles as I hand her water to swallow her tablet.

"It's baba, you, Yahya and me. Very pretty," I comment on the picture that has been next to her from the day it was photographed.

My mum smiles and nods her head, "He was always nagging me that I work a lot and barely have time for you guys. Now, look at him, smiling his brightest." I smile at the photo and find my mum missing him so badly.

'That's it' I promise to myself. I'm going to bring a lot of smiles on my mum's face soon and bring her old self back. Baba is watching over us, and it's the least I can do for the sake of Allah (SWT).

Bryson

"Alright see ya man," I wave off to Yusuf and exist the coffee shop.

It was beautifully explained by him that he had a meeting last night with his future in-laws. And correctly guessed, he went for a marriage proposal.

What are you thinking Yusuf? I wish I could understand you man, but you've become more difficult to understand than women. I don't know what to do man.

He assured me that he was happy with his decision but there is no way I'm going to buy that until he also shows me through his actions. But I will buy God's plan, for his plan is the best plan!

Thinking deeply, without realising I come in contact shoulder to shoulder with a guy and apologise immediately.
"Sorry man. You alright?"
"All good, I'm fine," he says giving a quick smile and enters the coffee shop.

I place my hand back in my pockets and resume walking but stop when my eyes land on a photo on the ground.
I pick up the photo and wipe away for a clear look.

As I look at the photo I find a familiar young girl's face holding a rainbow lollypop sitting on a man's shoulder and a boy standing next to him smiling widely while holding a chocolate ice-cream. They all look so happy like my family once was.

One autumn afternoon, I forced my parents to visit the local park that was located behind the coffee shop which is now owned by Yusuf.
I was around seven years old and tried to understand every situation that was happening in my family. My family didn't have a close relationship with each other, as my mum barely used to talk to my father which really made me curious about why they wouldn't communicate properly as normal couples do.