Chapter ❶

In the name of Allah, the most merciful and the most gracious.

Chapter One [EDITED]

Tomato or Tomatoe

Bryson

            "Why do you keep ignoring me, Bryson? What's the meaning of all this?" I ignore the woman's voice, the source of this family's destruction, and force the glass down on the table

I begin to walk away from the kitchen and march towards the stairs, but she takes hold of my arm preventing me from stepping, which instantly makes me rip my arms away from her lean hands.

"At least hear me out will you?" Her voice rises, I chuckle taking note of this irony situation.
"There's nothing to listen to! Cut your crap! Seven years have passed and you still act like nothing has damn happened?" I voice without yelling but loud enough to continue and say, "You clearly knew what would happen after her death. You knew he would marry you and forget about my mum. That two-timer loved you not her! He discarded his only two sons like a piece of ... ." I turn around with a rough shuffle of my hair and turn back to face her.

"Why? Is it because of his bloody money that you accepted his proposal and fooled my grandparen-" she strikes her hand across my cheeks making me stay in my spot for a few seconds before I take my leave.

I drag my heavy body up the stairs to my room. I roll my eyes away from the neat looking shelves knowing she probably entered my room again. I throw my bag on the bed with a rough shuffling of my hair and drop my arms back down, and stay on my bed motionless.

Realising that I am unable to think straight, I push my feet up and head to the showers.

As the water trickle down my body, I relax my shoulders and turn my face up to the running water.

My mum's smile flashback and forth in front of my vivid vision underneath the warm running water.

A smile that calmed my nervous heart on my first day of school.

A smile that promised to be with me in every little situation.

A smile that sparked confidence in me when I was anxious about running down the track. However, little did I know that it would be just a plain collection of memories replaying over and over whenever I wished.

~

I fold my prayer rug and stroll downstairs whilst wearing my jacket.

"Bryson wait!" Jennifer calls from behind, "Eat dinner before you go," She invites carefully. "I'm not hungry," I declare avoiding eye contact and tie my shoelace. I exit the door without looking back and jump on my bike.

After parking my bike near the kerb, I take off my helmet and lean on my bike. I take out a cigarette and place it between my lips, then take out my lighter, however, the wind makes it harder to stay patient and light up my cigarette. After several attempts, I snatch the cigarette from my lips and toss it away. I breathe out a warm smog, then wonder emptiness across the bright pathway occupied by busy passengers walking away in different directions, however within the little distance I double-take a girl struggling with her grocery bags.