Chapter ❶①

[EDITED]

Declaration & Retraction

Chapter Eleven

|| Sarah's POV

My mouth slowly prepares for a sneeze, disappointedly I close back my mouth and sniff my nose lightly. I take off my gloves along with my jumper and hang it up against the wall.

"Salamun' alaikum, khala," I greet my aunt when I enter the living room and find both sisters snipping on some hot tea. I make an attempt to just shake her hand but she goes for the double cheek kiss, I mean triple, leaving me with an awkward posture.

I attempt to sneeze again, but it doesn't come out.

"How have you been?" my aunt asks, and rubs my hand in an attempt to make it soft. Before I get to answer, she gasps with crossed eyebrows and pulls my hands in hers again, "What happened to your hands. It's gone all rough. What have you done to my future daughter-in-law, Habiba?" She claims to my mum and I roll my eyes mentally.

Really aunt? Not cool.

"My hands are fine aunt. I moisture them everyday consistently," I answer and force a smile with a little laugh.

"When can I become my own person? Labelling people is such an old practice, khala," I say and they laugh at my remark.

However, it feels relieving to know she is not serious. I, Sarah Mansur have the right to be called my own name.

"Well, you two talk amongst each other while I quickly freshen up." I stand to leave but my mum stops me midway.

"How did your exam go, darling? Did it go smooth?"

My smile turns nervous and I reply in relief, "Alhamdulillah! It went great," and then dismiss myself with a smile. But my aunt questions making me turn around with another smile, "Which University are you deciding to go?"

"I'm not quite sure at the moment, I'll do some research and see, Khala," I give her a neutral response, not feeling good about her question.

"You guys enjoy your tea, I'll clean my room and make dinner for tonight," my feet move faster than my body, as I run away from any more questions.

Once successfully escaped to my room, I drop myself dead on the bed and take a deep breath with ease. Unusually, instead of thinking about exam, I wonder off replaying a bizarre scene in the Café?

Do I know him?

| Bryson

"You what?" Jennifer claims with widened eyes when I am clearly facing my father awkwardly, which means that I am communicating with him. I maintain observing him and await for his response.

After making Yusuf aware with my plans, I took the challenge to share the information with my father.

He clears his throat as I listen attentively to his words. "Since I cannot argue much about the fact that you already made up your mind," he begins slow, confirming what I dreaded the most. He has given up to convince his opinion.

"I will allow you to choose your career but," he inadvertently lets out a sigh and I look down to my feet.

"My gut says that I will soon receive a regret from you," he runs his thoughts, making me look up at him.

"Who knows?" He continues clasping his hands together never making eye contact with me, "You have grown up, and I suppose you can do whatever you like."

What happened to his dominancy? Authority? Implausibly, he is not arguing against my points anymore. He looks down analysing his hands and stands up leaving me with mixed emotions.