Chapter 19

━━━━━━ ◦ ⚜ ◦ ━━━━━━

"I'll be back."

His honey like voice brought a smile to her face—it always does, without fail—despite her fearing for his safety. She was thankful for all he does for her. For everyone. For their village—thankful for him. If she still had her vision, she'd imagine him to have the most angelic face, one that would rival a prince. Or a king.

She raised up her hands midair feeling his presence near her. There was a quiet sound of movement, feeling a slight shift with the direction of the wind as he bent down and let her fingers brush his cheeks.

"My sweet boy..." she said, voice raspy with old age. "Promise me you'll be careful."

Feeling his cheeks puff up, she imagines him wearing the sweetest smile and wonders how his eyes look like when he does. Her thumbs worked up to the corner of his eyes, feeling a slight crinkle there. He let out a slight chuckle as her thumbs carefully traced the shape of his eyes. A very pleased smile played on her lips as she realized his smile reaches up to his eyes.

Crescent like eyes.

It is what she's good that, seeing things beyond ones eyes can truly see. He couldn't believe it at first when he found out she's the one who tended his wounds and makes tonics for a living. 

"Promise." he told her, giving her a soft kiss on her forehead, leaving just as soon as before she offered him to stay longer or not to go. He always came to see her before his nightly routine, whether to check if she's safe or just merely to pay her a visit.

He rode out, just like he does every night—keeping watch on the village. Urging his horse to gallop its way in one specific direction. It has been days since the last sighting of the creature, he'd successfully kept it away from the village. But the objective to capture and kill it still remains. From his encounters and a few statements from the villagers, he was able to arrive at a conclusion as to where these creatures maybe coming from.

The ocean.

He was certain that there is a higher chance that he'd come face to face with the creature he's been hunting tonight. But what he didn't expect was a bright ball of light coming from the ocean. An immediate dread crept through him as he urged his horse to go even faster.

By the time he got to the ocean, the light was no longer there. Hopping off of his mount, his eyes roamed the wide stretch of the ocean shore and from afar he spotted two individuals washed ashore. One seemed unresponsive and the other...

The other was crawling her way towards the other body. Her blonde hair was the first he recognizes, as his feet picked up its pace—each step heavy with tense. It reminded him of Lisa's when he took her by the ocean, how the moonlight and its reflection in the ocean seem to dim in comparison. He wasn't sure what he was seeing at first, convincing himself that he may be mistaken. Because it couldn't be her.