Chapter 10

(Please make sure you read my A/N at the end of this chapter for some clarifications)

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

The room was scented with the calming aroma of the steam coming from the dried white-rayed flower steeping in the tea-kettle. Calm and peaceful as the new morning peaking from the outside of the window. The fiery sphere above the sky beamed with rays of gold far and wide, igniting the world in such brilliance, making the foliage glow viridescent, making the birds sing in approval from the warmth of its rays—kissing every creation alive.

"We should've killed her when we had the chance."

Lord Yuno slid two cubes of sugar on the fine lip of his dainty cup as his mouth stretched out into a smile and a delighted giggle escaped his mouth, watching the cubes melt into the tea.

"The queen will not be a problem." Lord Yuno simply responded as if to hint that his part in the discussion is over.

But as always, Levan didn't take the hint as he has been going on and on about his worries about the queen and how she is a threat to them and to the king most especially.

"Today maybe, but tomorrow? My lord, emotions may build if left unchecked. The king is showing too much interest in her. Doesn't that bother any of you?"

Lord Yuno, no longer smiling, shoot a sharp gaze directed at him. A clear and silent warning to mind his tone. Levan would've stepped back at that stare if he wasn't frozen on his feet, too afraid to make a movement that would further offend the lord in front of him.

"No. And neither should you be."

"It isn't just me my lord, the rest of the black heretics are concerned too." Levan stated.

The handsome lord's brows flicked up at the mention of black heretics, the name they've left behind not long since.

"Why?" Lord Yuno asked nonchalantly and Levan fought the urge to look at him questioningly.

"I... I am forbidden to speak of it."

"And yet here you are before me, blabbering endlessly about what is forbidden. Go ahead, enlighten me. I give you the permission to speak of it."

There was an eerie silence.

"Say it." Lord Yuno said in an icy command.

And when Levan failed to utter a word, the young lord stood up. Every step of his was graceful as he made his way to where his sword was at. Shrill sound of steel sounded as he unsheathed the sword ever so slowly, as if admiring its beauty—as if counting how many it killed.

Levan trembled at his spot, head bowed slightly, not wanting to return that burning gaze he feels directed at him.

"Truth-teller."