Chapter 4

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Blood pooled beneath his feet, ruby red against pristine white marble as his hand fell to his side still holding the dagger that he used to slit the king's neck. Cloaked in darkness he made his way to the dais where his now throne awaits him—red footsteps in his wake.

He sat comfortably on the silver throne bathed in fresh blood of that who now lay lifeless on the ground beside him. He eyed his dagger. His eyes bleak like that of an executioner as he spins the metal blade against his index finger as if he finds it more amusing how the bloody blade illuminates as he tilts it against the light than the body at his feet.

And as if it was just a simple matter, he spoke—making two of his companions bow and ready to take his first order.

"Make it known to everyone, Belona has a new king."

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Her fingers loosened on the dagger and it clattered to the ground.

"I... I can't do it."

Lisa wasn't thinking when she suggested to hunt instead of their usual training. Christian was visibly surprised—or worried rather—when she proposed that they should go hunting. It wasn't easy persuading him to say yes but she managed to do so anyway after explaining that it would somehow help her improve her reflex or some nonsense such as her learning how to attack an opponent stealthily.

But in truth, Lisa wanted to see if she was ready—ready to take a life if she needed to. It wasn't her thinking of a way to survive, it's always been a way to protect, not herself but the people around her. Lisa had experience lost so many times and all those times she didn't do anything to protect those that are now gone.

She had tried reaching out to her powers again before. At first, she was too scared to call out to it, afraid that some darkness still resides within her—she knows little to nothing about her abilities after all. That thought made her regret granting Mira clemency—not that she didn't deserve it, because she does, especially now fully knowing their true intentions in the past. It was the least she could do after telling Mira that Yerin died trying to defeat the shadow. It was too late when she realized that maybe Mira had knowledge that could help her understand her abilities. She had sent someone on a mission to find her, but it seems that Mira was so good at keeping her tracks hidden. So, she gave up on that and turned to herself once she had the courage to call onto her powers, but she failed each and every attempt. It's one thing to not be able to wield ice but to not feel it within her at all was another.

There are many doubts about her rule, same doubt her mother experienced when her father died. The people wanted a king, not a queen—and centuries later that conception remains the same. And so, with her powers once again being dormant or perhaps completely gone, she decided it would be best to keep training. If it comes down to it, she'd wield a sword and lead an army—woman or no. And no one shall question her reign.