Chapter 1

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

It was as if time no longer made sense. Hours turned into days, and days into weeks. But all of it were nothing but a process of shredding a piece of herself. Each shred of nothingness that somehow takes over and holds her soul—threatening to swallow her entirely.

As the ice that stilled the waterflow melted, spring returns and life renews—but not her. Her body stopped being her body and only became this shell that held nothing but sadness. Sadness that is emptiness. A shell that holds sharp fragments of her broken soul that only intends to pierce whatever's little left of her again and again.

"Again."

Lisa spoke as she stood up, grunting and dusting off the dirt in her pants. She picked up her sword that was disarmed from her just a moment ago.

"I think that should be enough for today. You're actually doing gre-"

"No. Again." her cold voice cut off Christian.

Lisa held her sword up, eyes blank and dead set on her opponent. Christian studied her for a moment. His eyes searched hers, asking so many unbidden questions. He had been worried for her wellbeing and has been desperately trying to reach out to her. But she was too good, too good at shutting people out. He knew she wasn't fine and it's only a matter of time until she would shatter completely. He promised himself he would not let that happen but he would not force her to open up her wounds either. He wanted to respect her boundaries, he lets her cope however she is able to, however she knows how to. But he's there by her side nonetheless.

With a sigh, Christian held up his sword ready for another round as she wished and he wondered how many times would it take till he's able to scratch a surface of that wall she built around her?

It didn't take long 'til the training ground echoed continuous clashing of swords once again. She would not admit it, but this was her way to get away from everything. Everywhere she goes reminds her of him. Everything she sees reminds her of him. Every moment spent together turned to a painful memory. Lisa wanted to forget but at the same time wanted to remember, it was maddening. She had experience pain before, but nothing amounted to this.

She was able to find an escape. When she's sparring, her mind is solely focused on her sword, the sweat that trickles down her chin, the jab and hit of her opponent and the sound of metal meeting another. Everything else becomes a blur. Even then, when Christian was training her, he'd been brutal. He didn't pull any punches or hesitate to strike at her. She used to curse him for it, but now she finds herself thankful for it. Because somehow that made her feel like she wasn't a queen. It made her feel like she wasn't a fragile doll that is too weak to take the hit. It made her feel like she wasn't broken—despite knowing that she is all of those things. Even for just a portion of the day, it helped her escape that reality—her reality.

Lisa believed that she hid her sorrow well from everyone. She might've been successful of doing so, but not with the ones who cares for her, for none dared to speak his name in her presence.