Chapter 20

*PLEASE DO READ MY A/N AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER*

━━━━━━ ◦ ⚜ ◦ ━━━━━━

He's back.

Safe and alive. Lisa thought to herself as she closed the door behind her. She didn't care how much of a weight had been lifted off of her chest the moment she saw him standing there in the hallway. Didn't care how he didn't shoot a gaze at her even when he knew she was behind him. Didn't care how no words were uttered after being back from the other side of the veil. He's back and he didn't seem harmed.

Lisa wondered to herself how the meeting with the hoarder went. She didn't want to ponder on the fact that he didn't talk to her about it. She kept thinking to herself that if something good came out of that meeting, he would've told her right away. Lisa knew he would, even just to sate her peace of mind.

But he didn't.

There was nothing that he'd done and said to her. He couldn't even look at her. He had told her this might be their only chance when she opposed the idea of him going back there. And if he's coming home looking dejected with nothing to tell her...It terrifies Lisa. Because then what would that mean for everyone? And it terrifies her in more ways than one. Because Lisa was also terrified for him. She'd been relieved to see him come home safe and sound. But...

The hoarder would've asked for a price. What price could he have given it?

Lisa forced her eyes closed, focusing on the comfort of the bed. She didn't want to start thinking the worst. She just hopes that when she wakes up the next morning, he'd tell them what had happened.

And she tries to tell herself that he wouldn't do something as close as to a sacrifice for the sake of the others. She kept telling herself that as she invites sleep to take over. Tries to remind herself of how cunning he is and would never let anyone try to outwit him, not even the Hoarder.

But Lisa never believed each word she chanted in her head over and over until sleep takes over.

She didn't sleep for very long. The sun just risen from its deep slumber when her eyes fluttered open. She wondered immediately if last night was a dream. So, Lisa hurriedly got up to get ready. As she got out of her room, she could hear discussion taking place down stairs, no doubt the hush voices of the king himself and his advisers.

"How bad could it be?" she hears him asks his advisers.

"How bad could what be?" she couldn't help but interject, announcing her arrival. "And where's Christian?" Lisa asked, looking around worried.

"Relax. No one did anything to him." he told her nonchalantly. "I sent him on a task, make him useful I guess. And I was just saying, the Hoarder wasn't much help at all, take a seat."