XVI.

You awoke to a still room, you could see a small bit of hazy light filtering through the curtains of your four-poster and the window nearby. A large, warm hand was wrapped gently in your hair by the nape of your neck, and a lightly snoring Ronald Weasley was leaning his head down into you peacefully. You decided it best to lay there quietly, enjoying his presence; absentmindedly counting the freckles on his face like constellations.

You wondered what time it was, but your "bloody interesting" muggle alarm clock lay several feet away, on the table beside your bed. You didn't want to wake Ron with any unnecessary movement, so you simply ignored your curiosity.

Until your door burst open.

You heard panicked shuffling towards your bed, and a worried-faced Hermione peeked her head in through your drawn bed curtains. She didn't manage to get a good look at you before quickly shielding her eyes as if her life depended on it.

"UM! I'M SORRY BUT MCGONAGALL NEEDS TO SEE YOU RIGHT AWAY, ALICE! SHE SAID IT'S URGENT!"

Her words flowed together so quickly, you barely caught an inkling of it.

"'Mione, slow down, what's—"

Ron opened his eyes, smiling at you groggily. When he noticed Hermione, he pulled the covers up over himself, staring at her in horror.

"It's something to do with your family, I think, oh, Alice, please go quickly."

Ron shot up, a concerned look on his face as he fumbled with the other side of the curtains. He was looking for his day clothes already, before you'd even had a chance to sit upright.

"Come on, then. I'll go with you, Allie... I mean... if... if you want," he slowed down.

Your head was spinning, though, and your body felt weak. What if something bad had happened while you were away? Wars in the Muggle world had gotten so much worse since the end of the second Wizarding War. Your dad, he should've been safe on base in Northampton. He was only there as an ally....

Hermione had already left the room quickly , leaving the door wide open behind her. Ron ran to go close it, so that you could get dressed.

"Alice... please, get dressed. It could be important," he coaxed, running back over to you. He grasped your wrist lightly, pulling you up and out of the solace of your bed. You didn't want to know what had happened.

He rummaged through your drawers, trying to put together an outfit while your mind wandered, assuming the worst. When he threw something on the bed, you sighed. He had tried, but truly, he was hopeless. You picked something out yourself as quickly as you could, Ron led you to the Headmistress' office.

......

You stood outside the great door, heart booming in your chest as you held Ron's hand.

"D-d'you want me to go with you, love?" he asked tentatively.

You could only nod your head. Whatever this was, causing Hermione to panic so blatantly, you didn't want to face it alone. Couldn't face it alone. Ron gave 3 quick raps on the door, and McGonagall appeared, face sullen, quietly motioning for you both to come in.

Her office was large, larger than any principal's office you'd seen in your Muggle schools, and she sat at a large oak desk briskly.

She remained silent for a moment, gauging your mental state, most likely. When Ron put his arm on your shoulder, she finally found her voice.

"Alice, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I normally wouldn't break something like this to you within earshot of another student," she began; and Ron tightened his grip on your shoulder, bracing himself. "There's been an incident, and no one knows who the culprit may be; whether they are magic or non-magic."

You inhaled sharply.

"Your father was at the... Air Force... Base in Northampton. He was attacked, and he is in critical condition. The Muggle doctors have never seen anything like it. Your mother is unsure of what to do, and I've suggested we bring him to St. Mungo's, though we generally do not treat Muggles there."

The silence was thick in the room as your heart sank down into your stomach. You were rendered speechless for a moment, but then you finally were able to form a coherent sentence.

"He-he's alive, though?"

"Only just, Alice. I'm sorry. His brain function is almost undetectable, but there was barely a mark on his body. After the war, we have to consider that this may be someone from the losing side who refuses to part with their pureblood ideology."

"But my dad is no-maj as well!" you cried, tears welling up in your eyes.

"He wasn't always, Alice. He gave up his magic to serve in the armed forces at a young age."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Your mother is still seemingly unaware of his... background. We need a family member's consent to transport him to St. Mungo's for an evaluation."

"Of course, please, try to do something!" You cried, tears stinging your eyes and falling down your already damp cheeks.

"I'll need you to sign some documents. Mr. Weasley, if you'd like to wait elsewhere, feel free."

Ron gave you a comforting freckled hand atop yours, and a genuinely sympathetic expression, but stayed put.

McGonagall then lifted a large packet of legal documents onto her desk, and conjured a quill to set on top of them.

"I'll need a signature at every x, and Alice, please read through the fine print," she warned.

The fine print was indeed something to behold. There were excerpts about how the patient would have to be Obliviated after their treatment at St. Mungo's, and no memories may remain after so doing. Such memories can be restored within a certain timeframe, but once that time had lapsed, they could not. You signed them anyway, without hesitation. Even if he couldn't remember his former life, he would be with your mother, who loved him unconditionally. You could move back home after school to help take care of him. Hell, you'd even give up your own magic if it meant making your family whole again...